1890 Token/Medal ID Requested

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, Zeb--thanks for the better photos! I now see that the 1890 date refers to when the cornerstone of the building was laid. I have e-mailed a friend who I think has the Eglit book - will let you know what, if anything, it says. John in ID.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
idahotokens said:
Hi, Zeb--thanks for the better photos!? I now see that the 1890 date refers to when the cornerstone of the building was laid.? I have e-mailed a friend who I think has the Eglit book - will let you know what, if anything, it says.? John in ID.

Thanks much!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, unfortunately, the piece is not listed in the Eglit book. That bit of info just steers me away from what I thought was a connection to the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Next move is to see what has been written in the numismatic field regarding medals of the Temperance Movement. I am certain that there have been several articles written, but whether this piece is listed remains to be seen. Best, John in ID

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
idahotokens said:
Well, unfortunately, the piece is not listed in the Eglit book.? That bit of info just steers me away from what I thought was a connection to the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.? Next move is to see what has been written in the numismatic field regarding medals of the Temperance Movement.? I am certain that there have been several articles written, but whether this piece is listed remains to be seen.? Best, John in ID

Thanks much.

My guess is it was a special limited medal given (or sold) to supporters of the work at the time of dedication of the building in 1890. It is possible that few were made. It is also possible this is the only one ever made. That would be very good news if indeed the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread