Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry bout that. Here's the pictures

Front
2cwk7jc.jpg

Back
2utspqf.jpg

Same size as a quarter came out of a mid 1700-1900's spot. Is the dimples part of the coin or is it from being in the ground. Trying to learn a few things.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say it is what is called a "picker's check". The operator of the farm was some guy with those initials and when a worker picked a 20-pound basket of the crop and turned them in, he got one of these tokens. Then, at the end of the day, he took all his tokens to the paymaster and got paid whatever the going rate was for that particular crop. There are dozens of variations on this story, including them being used for packing rather than picking, etc. There are some references to picker's checks from your area, but I don't have any in my library.
John in ID

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
picture rules out tax, transportation, billiards, play money, fraternal, and others...

my references show nothing. idahotokens makes a very good point about it being 'pickers check'. he uses very good reasoning in all is posts! it may be early 20th century, say 1930's or before. there sure were a growing amount of jobs/companies in the agricultural industry in those years.

if you have a little time read on...if not the following has little value to this post.

the denomination is odd. but, because it is a maverick token even suggesting it is a denomination has little basis.
anyway, i want mention the following "not to imply i think it is lumber related" but rather just for the story's sake! hey, a decent story is not bad fact or fiction right?

the lumber industry used 4, 8, 20, 40, 80, 2.00, 4.00 as a way of discounting, by 20%, the early issuance of wages, before payday, to employees. this is how i understand the company was working the company store. if the employee was to later turn the token in for cash (or if someone else wanted to turn it into cash)they would receive face value. if they used it in trade for goods at the company store they would receive the full amount 5, 10, 25 and so on.

off subject even more but an interesting fact --- scrip began in the first place because mines were so isolated in the early days. payroll was hard to physically get to the mine. robberies and a general shortage of currency were the big issues. also, the companies used isolation as reason and discovered profit as motive. you can say the company store was needed...but history shows it wasn't a benefit of the job it was 'for profit.' in my mind it should have been a cost of doing business not 'a business' in itself!

(not to mention the company charging burial fee, rent, doctor fee...whether you used it or not). must have been the first form of health care! hunh? well, you can say rent was needed but there really wasn't any other option. pretty much a captured work force.

i understand the coal mines discounted scrip if the employee wanted to turn it back into cash. this was keeping the families from shopping in town. there is a story that employees at a coal mine were spending their scrip to get drinks from a local soda manufacturer in a nearby town. the retailer would discount the scrip at time of sale then take the scrip back to the mine and demand full redemption. he would then buy the sugar for his soda concoction, from the company store. even at the companies inflated prices this made it cheaper and more convenient to get the sugar.

if you've read this far don't blame me if you think you've wasted your time. ::)

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
i see your profile says eastern shore, md.

now, i work this into the id and the thought comes to mind to look in the schenkman maryland book. i can't help you there either though!

funny i've noticed through the years maryland was huge in using the initial only tokens.

i would say idahotokens pegged it.

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
The book Canneries Of The Eastern Shore lists an S.R. Valliant as an oyster packer in Royal Oak, Talbot County, Maryland in 1901. That is one possibility.

I have no idea how the 20 denomination might apply to oyster packing. 20 oysters, 20 cans, 20 crates?

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very informative. Royal Oak is exacthly 5 minutes from where I found it if you crossed by Ferry and 22 miles by road. It very well could be from the oyster house. Thank You for all your help If I am able to verify it did indeed come from there I am sure the local museum would love to have it and display. It show's alot about local history in an area. This is why I love this hobby you never know what you are going to turn up :icon_thumright:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stevie Ray Vaughan? I'm no help so soon after work. Nice one, though.
Carl

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Carl

not bad curbdiggercarl.

orel hershisher is a 'V'. george foreman has up to VI. maybe the vaughns shunned the roman numerals not wanting XX. :laughing7: :dontknow:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
intimer said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Carl

not bad curbdiggercarl.

orel hershisher is a 'V'. george foreman has up to VI. maybe the vaughns shunned the roman numerals not wanting XX. :laughing7: :dontknow:

Thanks. I use what I got, which ain't much.
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions