garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this token yesterday at a site I have permission to hunt. Could anyone give me a guess on what the value of it may be. I am planning on keeping it but am wondering how much it's worth's.

Here is what it says. On the front side it says " Cohen Bros Coatesville, Pa. Good until December 1924" That is around the outside. In the middle it says "This coin is worth $1.00 on any two pants or suit or overcoat". On the other side is the Nazi emblem in the middle with the following words around the out side. "Membership emblem of the don't worry club Good luck" There are also several marks around the emblem They look like the following a butterfly, a horseshoe, a wishbone, not sure of the last group.

Thank you in advance for your input. This is my first post on the token form!

Attachments

• IMG_9581.jpg
    IMG_9581.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_9582.jpg
    IMG_9582.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_9581.jpg
    IMG_9581.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_9582.jpg
    IMG_9582.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 242

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This one is shown in Aqua's PA Merchant Tokens book as a rarity 6, which in his system equates to 3 - 8 examples known to him. PA tokens are not "hot" among collectors, but there was a book published recently that was all about swastikas on tokens, so that might improve the value of this one. My guess would be up to $10 for your token.

Keep finding them!
John in ID

OP
OP
garthbfan169

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot john for the info. when you say 3 - 8 examples do you mean 3 to 8 known to exist? Thanks again. Gonna try and find both books!!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Token cataloguers are at a disadvantage when it comes to putting rarity figures in their books. Unlike coins where it is generally known how many the Mint produced, and where there is an established market to determine "supply and demand", no records were kept of token production and many were destroyed during WWII scrap metal drives, when the business stopped operating or changed hands, etc. Token cataloguers may or may not get the cooperation of other collectors to establish census figures - a given collector may say that he has a certain token, but he generally won't say that he also has a bunch more stashed away in his "trading stock". And, some collectors do not share information at all with catalogurers, believing that the value of their holdings will be greater if they are not counted. Plus, cataloguers cannot know everyone who has tokens - many tokens are not in the hands of "known collectors" and many are still in the ground.

So when Aqua says that your token is R-6, meaning 3-8 known, that is probably an estimate based on what has been reported to him and should not be taken as "Only 3-8 of these exist."

Buying the PA book would be a good investment for anyone interested in PA tokens. It is a big volume - 1253 pages in 8½x11 format. Several online booksellers have it plus I think the author, Herman Aqua, sells it directly.

John in ID

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the swastika was for many cultures for thousands of years a "good luck" symbol ---before hitler ruined its image * sadly today its thought of as a "hate symbol " or "nazi symbol" --- since your coin predates hilters rise and use of the image of the swastika --it clearly means "good luck"

horse shoe , 4 leaf clover , wishbone , ? egyptian symbols?

OP
OP
garthbfan169

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone here at the tokens form. Lots of great info for me and I thank you all. Gonna keep the token with me and will pass along to my grandchildren!! Hope they will do the same. Thanks 1 more time for all your help!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho,
Your right on the money when it comes to sharing info with other token cataloguers. I think some token collectors feel they might get low-balled if it is listed in a cataloguers book. So they feel if it is unlisted they can pretty much set there own token value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread