Dairy Token

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Today at the NTCA - National Token Collector Association - annual show in Salt Lake City, I spoke to Melvin Reiter about this token. He is the author of the standard reference on dairy tokens. He had not heard of it (not terribly unusual, as tokens are always showing up) and offered to check his references for it, but asked if you could post a photo (often the style of diework is a good hint as to the origin of tokens) and indicate in what area the token was found (again, just a hint of which references to check first).
John in ID

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
Thanks for your help, John. The token came with a lot from Syracuse (near Goshen) Indiana. I'm including a pic. Regards, Ken

Attachments

• rohrers.jpg
    rohrers.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 149

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Since Reiter doesn't do e-mail, I'll snail mail him the photo and info along with some stuff about a different dairy token we discussed - we'll se what he says.
John in ID

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I received a letter today from Melvin Reiter who provided a possible attribution. Lloyd Wagaman, the late author of the IN token book and the Ingle System token book, did extensive research in city and business directories. He apparently logged names, locations, and business types into a computer file as he went through these directories. Reiter has the dairy-related file sorted by state and the Indiana section shows a Pearl Rohrer listed in the 1940 IN Dun & Bradstreet directory as operating a dairy in North Manchester, IN. So far, using the genealogical resources I have, I haven't found anything showing this person. I will contact the IN token cataloguer and see what he can tell. At least this appears to be a reasonable possibility since North Manchester is not too distant from where the token was found.
John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread