diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you tried. On a related topic, after all the emailing and searching I did on this, I found an example of one on the front page of a dog tag collectors site called "The Bark". Check it out-http://www.thebark.com/content/collecting-antique-dog-tags. Anyway your finding some good stuff out there, always good to see your finds. Good luck or Maika'I pomaika' and happy hunting.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
that's crazy they didn't want them. did you hear 'no' from one person? was it the primary person? surely there is an entity that is interested in securing the islands past-even the ordinary day-to-day items. not everybody wants to see a hundred thousand dollar picture. some people care about the past on a more realistic level.

i'm just thinking there may be another person or group interested in the 'ordinary' things of hawaii's past. is it possible the 'no' was from a sector of the museum that is only 'high faluting' wanting only the high dollar - high visbility items? there's just got to be a group interested in the 'day to day' items of their past....maybe not in the two you tried. there may be a smaller 'community based' group that is saving the islands past. there just has to be a place for such antiquities.

don't give up your quest!!!! they really are museum quality and i would think rare!!!! find that place where they can be enjoyed by the common man. you kow what do you look at when you go to a museum? do you look at the huge painting of 'who kows what', the dinasaur bones? what i'm getting at, and probably going on too much but, is that bigger name museums may not be the direction for the simple items of the past.

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!

OP
OP
grimroofer

grimroofer

Dec 14, 2007
kihei maui
Detector(s) used
xlt- surf master - tiger shark-sand shark
thanks diggummup that is the first pic i have seen of one of these other than the ones i have funny my 1876 is #111 and i that one is 1879 and #109 not in any sequence or a different island ? anyway there is a museum here but i am not sure if it is connected with the state i think it is private and I'm not to sure if they would even stay with them but i will keep trying thanks for all the help on these you are a good detective good luck out there

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
yeah, private doesn't sound good

maybe a library, school, community or civic center, is there a college or some historical society.

i just think museums not wanting the 'real life history stuff of the island is a shame.

around here there is a kids museum that has a lot of old every day items.

don't give up~!

OP
OP
grimroofer

grimroofer

Dec 14, 2007
kihei maui
Detector(s) used
xlt- surf master - tiger shark-sand shark
i did try the historical society and they don't seem to interested ether i have 6 tags all together the tag collectors i talked to for information on them want them bad lol but that wont happen i will talk to the right person eventually I'm not in a hurry. i have almost everything i have ever found except for the hi dollar jewelry my ex got in the divorce and now i am practically begging them to take these. funny i don't understand

Simbralynn

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aloha mai Peeps,

We found an 1870 Hawaiian Dog Tag (#141) in an abandoned house site in an old Hawaiian Village in South Kona, Hawaii Island, Hawaii a couple of years ago and are trying to find out who the registered owner might be and/or more about this unique find. If you have any information that may help us in our quest it would sincerely be appreciated. Email: [email protected]

Godspeed and happy hunting!!!

Respectfully Yours,

Simbralynn Kanaka'ole

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread