The Silk Stocking token dodge city kansas real or fake see pics

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Well I was out today & hunted an old lake bottom that has dried up and found this token. I have looked on the net but can't find anything about it other than a replica of the exact token. There is one major difference the one I have has recessed ingraving & the fake had raised lettering.
Can anyone tell me if it is real or fake & if real how old is it & what is it worth.

IMG_0208.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 2,045

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Every one of this sort of "token" is a modern-made fantasy. They all have incuse lettering - if you saw a photo of a "real" one, be careful as shadow effects sometimes make incused lettering look raised. See www.exonumia.com/fakes/hor.htm

John in ID

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Thanks for the info, I thought it would turn out to be a fake but ya never know.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bula,
All real brothel tokens are for a denomination like good for 5 cents in trade or good for one drink,never for all night or sex of any kind....Kane 23

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
kane23 said:
Bula,
All real brothel tokens are for a denomination like good for 5 cents in trade or good for one drink,never for all night or sex of any kind....Kane 23

First of all I know nothing about brothels or their tokens but could these have been like some kind of early gift certificate (if it was authentic)? I could just see some trail boss or cattle owner buying a handful of these things and giving them to trail hands after a drive. I'll believe you all that this is a fake or fantasy piece but has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Charlie

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
first clue is that folks back then didn't use swear words on tokens.
Second clue is that they are all brass, all incuse, all silver dollar size
and all have the same type faces. The folks in england who made
them also offered a complete line of sheriffs badges and texas rangers.
They really swamped the united states in the sixties and boomed in value during the US bicentennial in 1976. I bought hundreds of them in the sixties for a quarter apiece and sold my collection in 1976 as fantasy pieces for $12 each. The current "value" of these pieces seems to be about $2.50 each.
siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread