GREAT token

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I don't hunt coins and I don't hunt tokens. Who hunts tokens? They just pop up now and then. Last night while working out a worked out civil war site I stumbled upon a super token. This one is hard to beat. This site has produced a ton of relics and there is still a small amount left, but you have to work for it and that is what I did. This token is dated on the reverse 1861. Thanks Tesoro Tejon, you are the best relic machine out there, I luv you.

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 448
  • img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 454

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:
Sutler tokens were a special kind of Store Card that was issued by sutlers who supplied the Union Army. A sutler was a vendor who followed the army and sold provisions and luxury goods such as are found in our modern day PX or post exchange. He supplied tobacco, candy, dried fruit, canned goods, writing materials (and sometimes liquor) to the soldier who could afford the high priced goods. Many of the sutlers of this era issued metal tokens to insure themselves the trade of soldiers to whom they extended credit. These tokens ranged from 3¢ to $1 with both the sutler's name and the soldier's regiment listed.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Civil War tokens are divided into three types—store cards, patriotic tokens, and sutler tokens.

Sutler tokens are similar to store cards. Rather than listing the name of a private business, however, these tokens bore the name of a particular army unit (usually a regiment) and the name of the sutler who conducted transactions with the regiment. Of the three types of Civil War tokens, sutler tokens are by far the rarest. (per Wikipedia)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I keep learning:

The Sutler's Stores were commissioned by the War Department to Supply Sundries to the Troops, usually positioned near the Forts and large camps.

Your token suggests "H. Lester" may be the sutler and he was connected to the 5th ..........(artillery?)--just a WAG.

The pic in the reference below shows soldiers visiting a Sutler's Store during the CW in Culpepper, Va. (scroll down to enlarged pic).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Civil-War-Print...dZViewItemQQptZArt_Prints?hash=item5d26663b61

OP
OP
B

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Great token, great input from you guys.

I did a scan of the other side of the token. The other side is a bit deteriorated, however, the date and the letters AGO on the right side of the token are clearly visible. There are also remnants of the letter C further up and I am almost positive the word is Chicago. In the center is a mans bent arm holding a hammer. The left side of the token is deteriorated a bit and I am afraid to do anything to try and read that side. I may blow the picture up way larger and see if I can make out any lettering. However the backside is really in nice condition. I am thrilled.

Attachments

• img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 585
  • img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 605

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Your token is listed in Schenkman's sutler token book as IL K5B and listed as an R9 (1-4 known). The 51st R. Ill. V. is undoubtedly the 51st Regular Illinois Volunteers.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
jhettel said:
I don't hunt coins and I don't hunt tokens. Who hunts tokens? They just pop up now and then. Last night while working out a worked out civil war site I stumbled upon a super token. This one is hard to beat. This site has produced a ton of relics and there is still a small amount left, but you have to work for it and that is what I did. This token is dated on the reverse 1861. Thanks Tesoro Tejon, you are the best relic machine out there, I luv you.

Wow, you are quite the token 'snob'...I adore tokens as they are a TRUE connection to our past. Period. It don't get much more Americana than that. really. Except perhaps bag and railroad tags specific to the USA.

I embrace them with much gusto

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
i don't know the sutler tokens other than they are very collectible!
condition matters. be careful whether to clea it or not. check out first.

i collect the coal and lumber tokens condition is not my first priority.

OP
OP
B

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fifty8cal, I was with you when you found that half dime last week in the highway median. Soon the highway is set to reopen and traffic will again flow and it will be off limits. Too bad the grass is so high because that median is loaded. I know it's loaded because after 35 years of a major interstate highway and hardly any signals, and our searchcoils eight inches off the ground because of the grass, it is just there. Your 1860 "O" is nice. Also, talked with Doug and he wants you and I to meet him next time at the token spot, maybe in two weeks?

cwlead

Mar 24, 2008
Joe: when you and fifty8cal get ready to go again please give me a call if I'm not working I'm raring to go. you guys wore me out Friday but it didn't take long to recover, raring to go again, congratolation on the great token Roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread