Early Cincinnati S.P.C.A Token

Digs2much

Dec 30, 2009
Lebanon,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
This one of the better tokens I found this year,....it shows a man beating a mule and an angel with a sword coming down to protect it. It's as big around as a Coke can and heavy. The back has a member # and has an area for the person to engrave their name,but it's blank. If anyone has any information about this token,I would appreciate it. From what I can gather it's an early one from 1880s-90s?

Attachments

• HPIM2781.JPG
    HPIM2781.JPG
    625.3 KB · Views: 245

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
OH Cincinnati Cruelty to Animals Medal, ca. 1890. Large, well executed medal. "The Cincinnati Society for the Preservation of Cruelty to Animals" around an angel with drawn sword, intervening to stop man from beating a horse hauling wagon of fruit and other goods / "Member of S.P.C.A." and numbers "982" stamped, rest blank for engraving name. 50 mm, copper with some iridescence. Choice XF+. $40.00-50.00+

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was founded in 1866 specifically to protect
horses. Most of us think of it as a cat or dog organization. Its founder, Henry Bergh (1811-1888), was
a wealthy New Yorker who devoted much of his life to this cause. Draft animals, including those in
street railway service, were overworked, which Bergh and his associates believed was abuse or torture.
A police force of S.P.C.A. inspectors patrolled the city streets looking to prevent such incidents. Water
troughs were set up around town by the organization so horses might find a drink. As electric traction
and motorized vehicles replaced draft horses, the group turned its attention to protecting other animals.

OP
OP
Digs2much

Digs2much

Dec 30, 2009
Lebanon,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks for the information! I didn't realize the picture would come out so large when I posted it,...i posted the same file on another forum and it was fine. The token I found is numbered 801. I've tried to find a member list or directory that might show who #801 was. It was found near Mason Ohio,about 30 miles north of Cincinnati. Thanks again for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread