• f5.JPG
    f5.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 312

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Moe--the 25 token is a generic one - often general stores in either fairly remote locations or in cases where they thought they needed to start using trade tokens before their custom-made ones arrived, used these to buy produce from area farmers. The problem with the generic ones is that customers could bring in ones they had gotten from another store using the same type. There are other denominations of these "stock" tokens known and they appear all over the country.

The J. H. J. one will be tough to prove to a specific location - those are the initials of the proprietor of the business owner who used these tokens. Typically that type of token was used in a pool hall where a card game used tokens for "chips" to circumvent gambling laws.

John in ID

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
there is a j.h.j. token listed from gridley, ca. referencing the Kappen Calif. book

like idahotokens says abreviations are difficult to attribute. and sometimes to multiple locations. the listing did not give any detail on the name just gave the city. state

now i look in the 1919 dunn bradstreet and find
gridley is in - butte county
merchant listed - J.H.Jones
business type - cigars, confection and notions

good luck finding more information

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you John in ID and Intimer!

I will try to find more information. Do you know what time period was the first token used in?

-Moe

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I think intimer hit the J.H.J. one on the nose - the one in Kappen's CA book matches the description of yours. The 25 one was used ca 1915-30.
John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread