Brunswick Balke Collender tokens
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2009
    Jacksonville, FL

Brunswick Balke Collender tokens

I recently acquired 3 BBC tokens & a maverick merchant token in an estate lot of coins. I have been able to determine (using Richard's token database) that 2 of the BBCs are 8.7 and 11.7f. The third one is the one I have a question about. It matches 6a.2 (vertical legs, 8 long planks, A of Balke to the right of R of Collender), but it is octagonal, not round as shown in the database. Is this token a 6a.2 in spite of it's shape or a variety not shown? Thanks for any help as this is my first attempt to research tokens. Dennis

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    15310 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Brunswick Balke Collender tokens

Jax: Welcome to TNet !!
    Does this help?
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=166761.0
    Don.......

us
    Digaholic

Sep 2006
    Lone Star State
    19 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by JaxYakker
    I recently acquired 3 BBC tokens & a maverick merchant token in an estate lot of coins. I have been able to determine (using Richard's token database) that 2 of the BBCs are 8.7 and 11.7f. The third one is the one I have a question about. It matches 6a.2 (vertical legs, 8 long planks, A of Balke to the right of R of Collender), but it is octagonal, not round as shown in the database. Is this token a 6a.2 in spite of it's shape or a variety not shown? Thanks for any help as this is my first attempt to research tokens. Dennis
    Not that I am an expert on that sort of thing but.......if all the text and imagery match, yet, the shape of the object itself does not, then, that would constitute a different variety. That sort of thing happens sometimes. You find a book by a guru who has documentation of every KNOWN specimen under the sun and the BOOM, you make him print another edition to include your find.

I suggest contacting the author and asking him if he would like a copy of the image and any information about it he requires. I think you would do many folks a service. If you DO NOT have the only one in existence then you will certainly be doing someone a favor in the same way Richard, and his contributors, have done one for you.
    My detector is a needle finder; The world is my haystack.
    =====================================
    Think with a clear conscience or you will not be able to speak with one.
    ==============================================

Aug 2007
    44 times

The 6a.2 die has a ring of dots around the rim. Does your token have the same ring of dots? Then it was struck with a round die. It's not unusual for octagonal or scalloped tokens to be struck with round dies.

What merchant issued your token?

Sponsored Links