Brunswick Balke Collender tokens

JaxYakker

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I recently acquired 3 BBC tokens & a maverick merchant token in an estate lot of coins. I have been able to determine (using Richard's token database) that 2 of the BBCs are 8.7 and 11.7f. The third one is the one I have a question about. It matches 6a.2 (vertical legs, 8 long planks, A of Balke to the right of R of Collender), but it is octagonal, not round as shown in the database. Is this token a 6a.2 in spite of it's shape or a variety not shown? Thanks for any help as this is my first attempt to research tokens. Dennis

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JaxYakker said:
I recently acquired 3 BBC tokens & a maverick merchant token in an estate lot of coins. I have been able to determine (using Richard's token database) that 2 of the BBCs are 8.7 and 11.7f. The third one is the one I have a question about. It matches 6a.2 (vertical legs, 8 long planks, A of Balke to the right of R of Collender), but it is octagonal, not round as shown in the database. Is this token a 6a.2 in spite of it's shape or a variety not shown? Thanks for any help as this is my first attempt to research tokens. Dennis
Not that I am an expert on that sort of thing but.......if all the text and imagery match, yet, the shape of the object itself does not, then, that would constitute a different variety. That sort of thing happens sometimes. You find a book by a guru who has documentation of every KNOWN specimen under the sun and the BOOM, you make him print another edition to include your find.

I suggest contacting the author and asking him if he would like a copy of the image and any information about it he requires. I think you would do many folks a service. If you DO NOT have the only one in existence then you will certainly be doing someone a favor in the same way Richard, and his contributors, have done one for you.

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
The 6a.2 die has a ring of dots around the rim. Does your token have the same ring of dots? Then it was struck with a round die. It's not unusual for octagonal or scalloped tokens to be struck with round dies.

What merchant issued your token?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread