IMG.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 477

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
here is a link. you need to read under the heading fundraising. very interesting
http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v12n30a22.html

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1668225

i changed the link and added another. evidently the kennedy medal was made as a fundraiser for the park. the one you have may be one of the original (silver or nickel) [but should say if it's silver.999). or they may have sold copies at the park in a shop.

regardless, i never had heard of such a park. it was very interesting reading about it and its existence.

good find.

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
got this from the guy that had them made.
Hello Kim:
Yes, I can offer you some information on the Kennedy medallion. I was the person responsible for striking it in 1964. It was minted by Canadian Artistic Dies in Sherbrooke Québec. You can get the history of the Kennedy coin Memorial, which was built at The Big Nickel site in 1964. Go to Google, type in Ted Szilva The Big Nickel Sudbury. Go to the site entitled, The Inventor. Click on the history of The Big Nickel. At the top of the site you will also see SITE MAP, click on it, then click on number three, and you will see the Kennedy Memorial. In the middle of the history page, you will see a reference to the Kennedy Coin Memorial. I made the medallions with four types of metals: Copper , nickel, silver and gold. Copper and nickel medallions sold for three dollars each. The silver sold for $10, and the gold sold $12 5. Dollars. Whatever other information you want about them , just let me know. I sold thousands of the copper and nickel medallions all over the world. I sold less than a hundred silver ones and about in 10 gold. It also sold one platinum one. They were all 1 1/2 inches in diameter. If you have anymore questions let me know.
Sincerely,
Ted Szilva,O.Ont ,D.O.M.

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
i thought it was cool seeing as i just email him yesterday.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
no kidding, any reply at all is stupendous!
again congratulations. this 'Ted Szilva' was some entrepreneur!
and very nice person for the reply!
canada must be a neat place! except the winter.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread