40.2 KB · Views: 359
  • maverick token 001 (Small).jpg
    maverick token 001 (Small).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 373

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
SALMON (with milk pitcher) SALMON, ID
yes, i found it in the maverick listing i have with reference given to Melvin Reiter's Dairy Bk.

is the token really incused? it just looks like regular..., but the reference says it is also. is it just the way the picture turns out? just asking--the memory, then the eyes....? geeeeez! :help:

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
intimer said:
SALMON (with milk pitcher) SALMON, ID
yes, i found it in the maverick listing i have with reference given to Melvin Reiter's Dairy Bk.

is the token really incused? it just looks like regular..., but the reference says it is also. is it just the way the picture turns out? just asking--the memory, then the eyes....? geeeeez! :help:

Yes it is incuse! I asked the seller the same thing, something with the scam makes the letters raised.
Thanks much for the ID.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody to my knowledge has ever produced any evidence (let alone proof) that this token is from Salmon, Idaho.

John in Idaho

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
you're the man in idaho! you should know better than i, so full consideration of your post is warranted.

my information is not directly from the dairy book, but from a listing that references the dairy book.
i believe the mav. listing to be extremely accurate.

yes, mavericks are very difficult, and yes sometimes id's can be wrong, but attributions are only given after some level of proof...albeit this varies with each book. it is also my belief that every book is not perfect, but were done very painstakingly with the best of efforts and information at the time. please contact the dairy book author and offer your input and it will be noted if worthy.

i checked 1919 dunn brad. there is listed a 'salmon creamery co., ltd'

added the following:
also just checked the online token catalog at the following link

another added:
deleted previous link , showed error. here's the home page link where the listing can be found.

http://tokencatalog.com/index.php

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This maverick is listed in Reiter's Dairy Token Book, Pincock's ID catalog, and Hansen's ID catalog, but none of them give me a convincing attribution. Yes, the Salmon Creamery is listed in various Dun & Bradstreet directories, but just because this token has the word "Salmon" on it doesn't mean that it was used by the Salmon Creamery or any other business in Salmon, Idaho. If examples were known to have been found in the Salmon area or the diework resembled that of other tokens from the area, that would lend credence to the attribution, but that is not the case. Reiter lists 8 or so other maverick dairy tokens with the same diework (the pitcher), but none of them have been positively attributed. He suggests a couple might be from Indiana and a couple others from New Mexico, but offers no proof.

Mavericks are easy to attribute but tough to prove! Unfortunately, once an attribution gets into print (or online) it is next to impossible to eliminate references to it. That is why catalog authors need to be more rigorous in their research and "get it right" the first time.

John in ID

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I found a Salmon Dairy Store in New Castle, PA area. This is from the Jan 1958 "New Castle News"

dol83q.jpg

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Here is more on that New Castle, PA store - grand opening in 1955. I don't know anything about tokens so I don't know if the style of this token would fit or not with a 1950s manufacture -

1zpp9vc.jpg

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
And, truly, the token is probably from ca. 1900-1915 and Salmon is probably the name of the proprietor.
John in ID

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
i wrote this is my previous post -

"i checked 1919 dunn brad. there is listed a 'salmon creamery co., ltd'"

but wasn't clear that the business was listed in salmon, idaho, 1919. there also was a 'salmon fuel and supply co.' listed under the town as well.

i'm guessing more than the token was possibly named after a person.

jgarnham

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone is monitoring this thread any more, but I just stumbled upon it. I live in a house that used to be a dairy in Rochester NY - the A.Salmon Dairy. I have pasted a picture of an advertising thermometer that we received from one of our neighbors whose family has been across the street since before the dairy was shut down. I don't have anything else from the dairy so I cannot confirm that the tokens you have are from it, but it does make me wonder. It also dates from the right time as the house was built in 1890, so early 1900's would be possible.

BRT_1241.JPG

Last edited:

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if anyone is monitoring this thread any more, but I just stumbled upon it. I live in a house that used to be a dairy in Rochester NY - the A.Salmon Dairy. I have pasted a picture of an advertising thermometer that we received from one of our neighbors whose family has been across the street since before the dairy was shut down. I don't have anything else from the dairy so I cannot confirm that the tokens you have are from it, but it does make me wonder. It also dates from the right time as the house was built in 1890, so early 1900's would be possible.

View attachment 928957
The advertising thermometer is really cool and since it has the state and town on it....and it also appears to be about the correct age to match the token...could be. As Idahotokens said though...mavericks are easy to identify but tough to prove.
Best proof IMO is to find some in the ground at the dairy site, and publish that data somewhere so everyone knows you found them at the dairy site (or whatever business it is).

jgarnham

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best proof IMO is to find some in the ground at the dairy site, and publish that data somewhere so everyone knows you found them at the dairy site (or whatever business it is).

Thanks texasvarmit! I think you have convinced me to upgrade my detector and start looking in my back yard come Spring! I'll post anything I find. So far it has just been a couple of the old gutter downspout holders. They were for the old scalloped round copper downspouts. They were held in place by the brick mortar and had a hinged ring that would hold the downspout against the house. Still a couple on the house. Wish I still had the copper gutters!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread