Milk Token
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Milk Token

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2009
    Utah
    Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
    84 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Milk Token

I was wondering if this incuse Maverick token is listed in any dairy token books. It came from Brazil, Indiana and is 25mm. I got it off Ebay, I was curious of it's location. The seller was unsure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maverick token (Small).jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	395130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maverick token 001 (Small).jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	395131  

us
    Jan 2009
    east tennessee
    28 times

Re: Milk Token

SALMON (with milk pitcher) SALMON, ID
    yes, i found it in the maverick listing i have with reference given to Melvin Reiter's Dairy Bk.

is the token really incused? it just looks like regular..., but the reference says it is also. is it just the way the picture turns out? just asking--the memory, then the eyes....? geeeeez!

us
    Jan 2009
    Utah
    84 times

Quote Originally Posted by intimer
    SALMON (with milk pitcher) SALMON, ID
    yes, i found it in the maverick listing i have with reference given to Melvin Reiter's Dairy Bk.

is the token really incused? it just looks like regular..., but the reference says it is also. is it just the way the picture turns out? just asking--the memory, then the eyes....? geeeeez!
    Yes it is incuse! I asked the seller the same thing, something with the scam makes the letters raised.
    Thanks much for the ID.

Aug 2003
    1035 times

Nobody to my knowledge has ever produced any evidence (let alone proof) that this token is from Salmon, Idaho.

John in Idaho

us
    Jan 2009
    east tennessee
    28 times

you're the man in idaho! you should know better than i, so full consideration of your post is warranted.

my information is not directly from the dairy book, but from a listing that references the dairy book.
    i believe the mav. listing to be extremely accurate.

yes, mavericks are very difficult, and yes sometimes id's can be wrong, but attributions are only given after some level of proof...albeit this varies with each book. it is also my belief that every book is not perfect, but were done very painstakingly with the best of efforts and information at the time. please contact the dairy book author and offer your input and it will be noted if worthy.

i checked 1919 dunn brad. there is listed a 'salmon creamery co., ltd'

added the following:
    also just checked the online token catalog at the following link

another added:
    deleted previous link , showed error. here's the home page link where the listing can be found.

http://tokencatalog.com/index.php

Aug 2003
    1035 times

This maverick is listed in Reiter's Dairy Token Book, Pincock's ID catalog, and Hansen's ID catalog, but none of them give me a convincing attribution. Yes, the Salmon Creamery is listed in various Dun & Bradstreet directories, but just because this token has the word "Salmon" on it doesn't mean that it was used by the Salmon Creamery or any other business in Salmon, Idaho. If examples were known to have been found in the Salmon area or the diework resembled that of other tokens from the area, that would lend credence to the attribution, but that is not the case. Reiter lists 8 or so other maverick dairy tokens with the same diework (the pitcher), but none of them have been positively attributed. He suggests a couple might be from Indiana and a couple others from New Mexico, but offers no proof.

Mavericks are easy to attribute but tough to prove! Unfortunately, once an attribution gets into print (or online) it is next to impossible to eliminate references to it. That is why catalog authors need to be more rigorous in their research and "get it right" the first time.

John in ID

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    2799 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I found a Salmon Dairy Store in New Castle, PA area. This is from the Jan 1958 "New Castle News"

Aug 2003
    1035 times

Our cats are partial to both...
    John in ID

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    2799 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by plehbah
    Who would name their dairy after a fish?
    I thought it would be because the proprietor's surname was "Salmon".

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    2799 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Here is more on that New Castle, PA store - grand opening in 1955. I don't know anything about tokens so I don't know if the style of this token would fit or not with a 1950s manufacture -

us
    Jan 2009
    Utah
    84 times

Thanks all.

Aug 2003
    1035 times

And, truly, the token is probably from ca. 1900-1915 and Salmon is probably the name of the proprietor.
    John in ID

us
    Jan 2009
    east tennessee
    28 times

i wrote this is my previous post -

"i checked 1919 dunn brad. there is listed a 'salmon creamery co., ltd'"

but wasn't clear that the business was listed in salmon, idaho, 1919. there also was a 'salmon fuel and supply co.' listed under the town as well.

i'm guessing more than the token was possibly named after a person.

Jan 2014
    Not sure if anyone is monitoring this thread any more, but I just stumbled upon it. I live in a house that used to be a dairy in Rochester NY - the A.Salmon Dairy. I have pasted a picture of an advertising thermometer that we received from one of our neighbors whose family has been across the street since before the dairy was shut down. I don't have anything else from the dairy so I cannot confirm that the tokens you have are from it, but it does make me wonder. It also dates from the right time as the house was built in 1890, so early 1900's would be possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRT_1241.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	928957
    Last edited by jgarnham; Jan 12, 2014 at 04:21 PM.

us
    tokenguy

Oct 2006
    Texas and Oklahoma
    Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
    84 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarnham View Post
    Not sure if anyone is monitoring this thread any more, but I just stumbled upon it. I live in a house that used to be a dairy in Rochester NY - the A.Salmon Dairy. I have pasted a picture of an advertising thermometer that we received from one of our neighbors whose family has been across the street since before the dairy was shut down. I don't have anything else from the dairy so I cannot confirm that the tokens you have are from it, but it does make me wonder. It also dates from the right time as the house was built in 1890, so early 1900's would be possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRT_1241.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	928957
    The advertising thermometer is really cool and since it has the state and town on it....and it also appears to be about the correct age to match the token...could be. As Idahotokens said though...mavericks are easy to identify but tough to prove.
    Best proof IMO is to find some in the ground at the dairy site, and publish that data somewhere so everyone knows you found them at the dairy site (or whatever business it is).
    idahotokens likes this.
    In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links