Jackson & Perkins Co. Tag found today...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jackson & Perkins Co. Tag found today...

While trying to practice on my new Safari in a local park here in NJ, I dug up this neat little tag. It says J & P "World's Largest Rose Growers" on the front, which stands for Jackson & Perkins. Looks like they are still in business from a google search I did. Company started in the late 1800's in nearby Newark, NJ. However, cannot find out what this tag was used for and didn't see anything else similar online. One funny thing...

On the back of the tag, it says..."Asexual reproduction of this plant without license is strictly prohibited under the provision of the plant patent act". Coooool!

Any info is appreciated. Unfortunately, I scratched the back up with my lesche while trying to pry it out of the hole :(

Attachments

• J & P Rose Tag - Front.jpg
    J & P Rose Tag - Front.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,252
  • J & P Rose Tag - Back.jpg
    J & P Rose Tag - Back.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,068

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Jackson & Perkins Co. Tag found today...

I would send them the same picture and see what they say.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

Used to see tags of this nature wired to a rose plant - the tag was normally discarded after planting.
John in ID

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The tag identified the kind of rose bush it was attached to.
Detroiter is the name of the rose, and H. T. stands for Hybrid Tea rose.

A search on the J & P web site did not show any roses by that name so it may be an old variety no longer produced - or just not available on the web site.

b.stewy

Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jackson n Perkins tag

While trying to practice on my new Safari in a local park here in NJ, I dug up this neat little tag. It says J & P "World's Largest Rose Growers" on the front, which stands for Jackson & Perkins. Looks like they are still in business from a google search I did. Company started in the late 1800's in nearby Newark, NJ. However, cannot find out what this tag was used for and didn't see anything else similar online. One funny thing...

On the back of the tag, it says..."Asexual reproduction of this plant without license is strictly prohibited under the provision of the plant patent act". Coooool!

Any info is appreciated. Unfortunately, I scratched the back up with my lesche while trying to pry it out of the hole :(

I live in Moran Kansas and today i was metal dtecting i dug up one of these taggs to. i looked up on the internet and i seen this was a old Rose flower Hybread company. are these taggs worth anything? my name is Brian

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Brian--in a word, no. There are thousands of these buried in rose beds all over the country, not collected by anyone but the most specialized collector.
John in the Great 208

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found two of these tags every detecting. Sorry for bumping an old post but I had too.
Found one with Glacier on it, and another with Baby Blaze (last week or so, this one was full, the other had a piece missing).
All with the AT pro!
Any idea how old?

Aaron@JP

Apr 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi njnydigger!

I'm Aaron, a copywriter at Jackson and Perkins. We stumbled upon your post and thought it was really cool! We always like seeing little bits of JP history like this pop up.

So I looked up the Detroiter rose that the tag is referring to. Here's Helpmefind.com's page (that's where I always go to look for rose patents):
'Detroiter' Rose
The plant patent number is 1,219, which is what you see on the bottom back side of the tag. Looks like this variety was introduced to the US in 1953, so this tag could be "only" 63 years old or younger. Still a really cool find!

Yep, it's a hybrid tea rose. A nice, dark red one. It looks like 'Detroiter's patent has expired, which is probably why we don't carry it any more. We've got tons of other Hybrid Teas, of course:
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/hybrid-tea-roses/c/JP-Hybrid-Teas/

I'd like to share your story and your photos on JP's blog, if you are alright with that. The same goes for anyone else that's found any other cool JP artifacts in gardens.

Keep on digging! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Aaron@JP!

Jmartsolf

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also have a tag!

Hi Aaron, I also found a tag and still have roses nearby. Any idea how old these are? image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi njnydigger!

I'm Aaron, a copywriter at Jackson and Perkins. We stumbled upon your post and thought it was really cool! We always like seeing little bits of JP history like this pop up.

So I looked up the Detroiter rose that the tag is referring to. Here's Helpmefind.com's page (that's where I always go to look for rose patents):
'Detroiter' Rose
The plant patent number is 1,219, which is what you see on the bottom back side of the tag. Looks like this variety was introduced to the US in 1953, so this tag could be "only" 63 years old or younger. Still a really cool find!

Yep, it's a hybrid tea rose. A nice, dark red one. It looks like 'Detroiter's patent has expired, which is probably why we don't carry it any more. We've got tons of other Hybrid Teas, of course:
Hybrid Tea Rose - Jackson and Perkins

I'd like to share your story and your photos on JP's blog, if you are alright with that. The same goes for anyone else that's found any other cool JP artifacts in gardens.

Keep on digging! :icon_thumright:

Jul 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jackson and Perkins Tags

Here are some rose bush tags I found digging this month. I figured Aaron and others might enjoy the photo.

Attachments

• 2016-07-07 08.39.45.jpg
    2016-07-07 08.39.45.jpg
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 942

wolfcamp1

Mar 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E88DD194-D7FC-4C3D-8CAB-4DE2963ECA27.jpeg E2EA1A03-047A-449C-B2D2-5801BB51857F.jpeg E2EA1A03-047A-449C-B2D2-5801BB51857F.jpeg

Hello Aaron, I found a similar tag the other day and would love to know how old it is. I was really impressed that you could determine the patent # of the other persons tag. Any chance you could do the same for this. It was found while metal detecting in Bennington NE. Thanks so much! Hoping the pictures come through. I’m not too familiar with my way around the site.

Dec 24, 2022
Hello, my name is Corey and I'm located in Lebanon, PA, near the Union Canal Tunnel (National Historic Landmark) and here is my Jackson & Perkins find while metal detecting. It's a tag for the "Countess Vandal" bred by J & P in 1936!!

Attachments

• 20221224_045557.jpg
    20221224_045557.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221224_045607.jpg
    20221224_045607.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 20

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread