colorado14ers

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
Re: lota tokens

Yes that is the token. i have found more sense then.....and yes that is me about 4 months ago. The guy who took the pic was the same man who sold me my M6. He is very nice and he is very kind. He has a store in cape coral.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

There are three varieties of the 5¢ The Club token listed in the Wagaman Indiana token book. Two are aluminum and the third is made of fiber which dates it to the period during WWII when aluminum and brass were unavailable for making tokens. My guess is that the business dates from ca. 1944 and probably ran into the 1950s.
John in ID

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

Hey there-- great job detecting! Here is just a guess for what may be "The Club" -

http://www.portlandgc.com/courseinfo.html

Course History
The dream of bringing golf to Portland, Indiana came alive in 1920 through seven local men: Carl Bimel, Orville Easterday, Jim Fleming, Walter Guedel, Paul Jaqua, George Smith and Louis Weiler. The proper corporations were formed in 1921 and Bill Diddel, a very prominent golfer and course architect from here in Indiana, was hired to design the course. Assisting Mr. Diddel was golf professional Chandler Egan. Forty acres, purchased for the course, came from Ervin Black and eleven more acres from the Crowell Farm located just south of the city. The course and clubhouse were completed and dedicated in November of 1922. Furnishings for the clubhouse were purchased from Marshall Field's of Chicago.
The first caretakers of the clubhouse were Tom and Katy Thornburg. They earned a salary of $30 a month. They served vegetables grown in their own garden and they took care of the cows, pigs, and chickens that were on the farm that was on the course. The first club pro was Floyd "Boots" Wile. Green fees were 50 cents for 45 minutes, with free club membership. Caddies worked for 15 cents per nine holes. Fairways were mowed by Tony Clark and Charlie Caster for 15 cents an hour.
As the years went by, some renovations were made to the greens and some tee stations changed locations. In 1950, the east porch of the clubhouse was enclosed and made into a dining area. Also, ten more acres, north of the Salamonia River, were added. In 1964, an automatic sprinkling system for the greens and a manual sprinkling system for the fairways were added. The clubhouse went through another renovation in 1970. From 1950 through 1970 the Portland Forge was a great friend of the club. The Forge furnished equipment, materials, and labor to rebuild bridges and help maintain and rebuild greens, parking areas and roadways, at no charge to the club.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread