Picture of the P.S. Lunch Dept. token at the end of this post

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Re: P.S. Lunch Dept. token?

I'm guessing it means it's good in trade for lunch at a public school ? What school, how old, etc, I have no idea without more info. If lunch was 1 cent it's got to be fairly old though. A pic would help.

OP
OP
pencil5757

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
-Garrett AT-PRO, Ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a pic this weekend when I get home from work but!

I agree the only thing I found on the web was from a La. token site it said it was from New Orliens and he had it listed on his for trade page so there wasen't any more info on it.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee

i found the same reference to new orleans

P.S. LUNCH DEPT. NEW ORLEANS, LA 2ND ED. LOUISIANA BOOK

i did not find it in the token catalog database though or in 1919 dunn bradstreet.

good luck verifying and finding some good history'

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

Connor's 2009 School Lunch Token book shows two varieties of the scalloped aluminum 1¢ P. S. LUNCH DEPT. token under New Orleans, LA. One is 21mm S8 and the other is 25mm S12. There are other 1¢ varieties plus 5¢ denominations. Connor does not give further information, but the fact that three of the 1¢ varieties are made of fiber tells me that they date from around WWII when aluminum and brass were strategic materials and unavailable for the manufacture of tokens.
John in ID

OP
OP
pencil5757

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has 12 scallops so I guess its the last one!

I found this one in East Texas so I'm wondering if it came from a Texas city and again I'll post a pic when I get back home.

OP
OP
pencil5757

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the pic

hope it works

Attachments

• Token s.JPG
    Token s.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 201

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep - that's the one listed as New Orleans. It is also listed in the Louisiana book with the notation that "In 1938 the Public School Lunch Department was based at 1006 Ninth and served seventeen centers." and "The fiber composition of some of these indicates usage between 1943 and 1945." It is not unusual for tokens to travel away from their original location - families could have moved and brought the token with them - then it was of no use and might have been used as a children's plaything or have been discarded. This one looks like some hungry kid took a bite out of it...
John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions