P1030662.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 423

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Hi,
My guess, being many are bar and tavern tokens, and they don't have a "redeemable for" amount on them, they were used as "rain checks". Example: You just had time for one cold one after work and a buddy came in and ordered you another one. The bartender gave you a token instead, that you could use in that establishment for the drink at a later date. Great collection though. Were they dug?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
These are catalogued in the December, 1976 Supplement to the Journal of the Token and Medal Society (TAMS) Journal, Amusement Tokens of the Minneapolis - St. Paul Area by Kenneth R. Smith. In his introduction, Smith says, "The pinball machine craze hit Minnesota's Twin Cities in the early 1930s and, at first, rewarded winners with money. However, this gambling was quickly outlawed. To circumvent the law, pinball machine operators ordered nickel size tokens, most of which read 'good for 5? in trade', but these were also outlawed. The operators then resorted to nickel size (21mm) [tokens] with similar or dissimilar legends on both sides. The complaint against these tokens was that their nickel size implied they were good for a nickel. Token manufacturers then went to a 20mm token, which remained as the principal amusement machine token in the Twin Cities for about 10 years. Tokens of 22mm and 23mm diameter were usually given for five free plays."

The series is very recognizable, however a few businesses outside the area used similar tokens. Smith lists in the area of 1500 in his work.

John in ID

OP
OP
D
Thankyou for your responses. The tokens were not dug, they were acquired here in Winnipeg which is only 6 to 8 hrs north of the Twin cities, so John your info makes sense in that respect, thanks. Are you saying that most of these tokens are from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area? Are these tokens common or collectable? Are all of these tokens used for arcade games or were some used for slot machines? ???
Sorry to pester, but I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about this collection, I realize that there is alot to identify
Note: Every token has the same reverse as the front.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked five or six and all were listed in the book. The problem with the book is that it does not have an index - each of the towns has its tokens listed alphabetically. Of course the big hitters are Minneapolis and St. Paul, but there are dozens of suburbs as well. Based on my experience with tokens, I'd say none of these were used in slot machines as we know them today. There may have been other types of amusement machines than just pinball machines that used them, but they are grouped in the category of "amusement machines". Yes, they are very collectable, but no, they are not very valuable. They turn up regularly and usually have to stretch to bring over a dollar or so each. I am sure there are collectors of this type of token who strive to get all the ones in the book. Smith does mention that there are quite a few that have been struck over other tokens - those have greater interest. Also, there are tokens from a couple of boxers (Mike O'Dowd and Tommy Gibbons) that are sought after.
John in ID

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
John is correct. I am one of the people who collect amusement tokens and they always seem to be from the minneapolis / st. paul area. The manufacturer had one hell of a sales organization that contacted every bar and pool hall in that area and sold them tokens. If you wanted to do some swapping I can offer a whole lot of canadian wooden nickels and maybe ten bucks in canadian currency in trade. I also have canadian coins but like you I'm missing the rare ones. exanimo, ss

OP
OP
D
S.S. that Canadian wooden nickel trade sounds good but, I was told many times: "don't take any wooden nickels" ;D Seriously now, I would like to note that if you bare with me and look back to the photo of the left half set of tokens starting from top left count 4 in to "AK", second example is stamped over a highly decorated coin; restrike? Jump to the next row to the two "clock" tokens, first example has an odd composition (compared to a few doubles of the shiny nickel example) and it definitely was previously a useable token with the faded markings of "good for one play" along the rim, and a large AB in the center. This occurs on both sides. Next, we go to the 4th row, and find the "LEO HARRY" and bowling picture token which is stamped over a faded large "HBar" (the HB is joined). Both sides. You can see in the picture the bottom right token "W-H" "1518" has a "P" stamped in the sunburst (center) and on the back in the same spot a "L". Finally on the right side group of tokens, look for the "CAPITAL TAVERN" (middle, 1st row) it appears to be struck over a faded large "P" on both sides. IDAHOTOKENS, is this what you were referring to? Are these varieties scarce or at least better than the rest? Thanks for all your info.
Muddyhandz.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
the ones you highlight are refered to as die trials or test pieces. When a minter sets up the dies he will grab a token from the scrap bin and excess tokens and strike over the previous design. This permits him to check the depth of the strike and to see the design before running production. I have a number of them and prize them highly. Unfortunately they don't sell well or trade well either for that matter. To a purist they are damaged and that's that. I think of them as I would rookie cards or proofs. They are obviously the first strikes from that die set. Too bad you don't want the woods. I would also trade them for any woods issued by or in memory of any canadian forces anywhere in the world. I have one from a C.F.B and a couple from unit reunions and that's it. When the book comes out Canada will be woefully under-represented. May need to join some of the Canada woods clubs and deal with that. exanimo, ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread