• scan0010.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 4,336
  • scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,646

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
According to Alpert and Elman, this is a numbered slot machine token. The numbers represent individual machines or machine operators or businesses.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Butterfield said:
According to Alpert and Elman, this is a numbered slot machine token. The numbers represent individual machines or machine operators or businesses.
Thanks Butterfield.

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
My buddy and I recently found a cache of 16 very similiar tokens, many were different , but several had a number on them, 35054.Any idea how to find out if there is a registry for the vendors?Some were for 5 cents in trade , one was marked "southern confectioners co, memphis tenn"," keeneys co. good for 5 cent in trade", etc. yesterday we returned to the same site, but didn't find anymore there,( a spot about as big as a pickup truck bed) but just across the road we found 5 more ! I sold 11 for 150 dollars, and my buddy sold his for 130 ! Ironically,Even though a couple of them said, "this token has no cash or trade value", I beg to differ ! It was an exciting find, but unfortunately, I didn't have time to even get pictures of them. I guess I'll have to go find more !

DangerDan

Jan 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hy, I found 3 of these in my front yard. My house was built in 1911 and i have found a dozen coins from 1900s-1930s. although the numbers on mine are 14800 on one coin and 17180 on the other two, they are exactly the same as yours in every other way. My house is in a small old time railroad town in South central Montana. If I can find more info I will post for you.

groundsmn

Sep 9, 2010
terryo said:
My buddy and I recently found a cache of 16 very similiar tokens, many were different , but several had a number on them, 35054.Any idea how to find out if there is a registry for the vendors?Some were for 5 cents in trade , one was marked "southern confectioners co, memphis tenn"," keeneys co. good for 5 cent in trade", etc. yesterday we returned to the same site, but didn't find anymore there,( a spot about as big as a pickup truck bed) but just across the road we found 5 more ! I sold 11 for 150 dollars, and my buddy sold his for 130 ! Ironically,Even though a couple of them said, "this token has no cash or trade value", I beg to differ ! It was an exciting find, but unfortunately, I didn't have time to even get pictures of them. I guess I'll have to go find more !

A sucker born everday, hard to beleive they paid that much those are a dime for every dozen.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
What groundsmn said! Terryo - if you have a market for this sort of thing at those prices, let me cut a deal with you. I'll sell you a pile of them for $7 each and you sell them to your buyer and make that much on each one.
John in the 208

chinasmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
This type of token is believed to have been used in illegal slot machines, sold or leased by criminal organizations. For this reason, it is unlikely that a vendors list will ever turn up. These tokens are very common, and can be bought from coin or token dealers for a dollar or less. What would be valuable is if someone would keep a record of where specific numbers have been found. This will be the only way we can ever attribute these tokens to a specific place.

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
The location I found mine at is in northern Florida.Since I first posted this thread, I have found a few more, similiar , but not identical, in an area that was an old sawmill, with coins dating from 1880's to 1927, nothing dated past 1927 . This site was about 1 1/2 miles from our cache site, and presumably contemporary with it. Several other trade tokens were found near here also, strangely none had our town name on them, but from several Georgia towns at least 70 miles north.Go figure !
:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread