Colorado token

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I would post an interesting story of a token I found a number of years ago. There is an empty lot across the street from my home that I have metal detected to death, or so I thought. I had just received my new White's DFX metal detector and thought I would give it a whirl. The token pictured is from Lamar, Colorado and, at the time, was an unlisted denomination. The token dates to a two year period, 1894-1895, and may today, still be an unlisted denomination. The reverse of this token is blank. Thanks for looking.

Bond

Attachments

• DSCN0637.JPG
    DSCN0637.JPG
    582.9 KB · Views: 207

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say with it being incused and having the town name doubles the value and makes it more desirable. Not many incused tokens have a place of origin on them (RARE).

Curious to know what other denominations are listed, and the authors price guide.

OP
OP
B

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To Nova,

I took the token to a reputable dealer of coins and tokens. He was interested in buying it and, I thought like you; it was incuse, with the town and state on the token, so it was likely rare. The only other denomination listed is the 5 cent variety. The reference was Pritchard's book from Colorado, which the five cent variety is in and, the book had no values listed. The dealer and I went back and forth over a few weeks and I was not really interested in selling the token but, like alot of people, I got in a bind, and, sold to him for $300.00. As luck would have it, another person saw it listed on treasurenet.com, "Today's Finds, and called me about two days after I had sold it. Although, the second guy and myself did not come to terms on a price because I no-longer owned it, I did send him the way of the dealer I sold it to. I have a pretty good relationship with the dealer. I do not know what he sold it to him for but, I know him well enough to know he got a pretty good price for it.
That is the best I can say about the token. I did believe that it was ironic that I found it after many searches of the same property with another detector. I guess it goes to show that some places are not as hunted out as one would think.

Bond

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread