Rarest Token?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simpson, MN, Beaver, MN, and Sheldon, MN.
These were all unknown tokens until they were found. There were actually three from Simpson found within a year.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The rarest tokens that exist are the Brasher doubloons. I haven't found one of those but I did find an unlisted variety of a hard times token and it is now listed in Rulau's Trade Tokens of north america 1700-1900 as being in my collection. It was listed in the third edition and no others have yet been reported even though they are working on the fifth edition now. I've also found some unlisted counterstamps but those are easy to find. Maybe one out of each ten I find are unknown. exanimo, ss

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
There are some really neat and expensive tokens from alaska that have a real gold nugget in the center of the token. I've seen pictures of them but only seen one in a collection in over 40 years of collecting tokens. exanimo, ss

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is considered a token? I have a blue moon saloon good for five cents. I also have a bus fair token from the 1940's. Are both a token?
Burdie

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Burdie said:
What is considered a token? I have a blue moon saloon good for five cents. I also have a bus fair token from the 1940's. Are both a token?
Burdie

Hey, Burdie--

In 25 words or less... yes!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Thanks TQ for the link. Helps folks visualize what i was talking about. Burdie. Here is a simple way to tell a token from a medal. Medals honor persons, places or things and do not have a value - they do not say good for something. Tokens do list what they are good for - fare, ride, no cash value, replay, etc. In older tokens there is an additional category called a store card. If your civil war token says something like not one cent or union forever then they are called patriotics. Generally used for any that do not show a location. The ones that do show a location or a merchants name are called store cards and are very popular. Some are also very valuable. Most civil war tokens are dated 1863 and a few say 1864 because they were outlawed in 1864 by the government. Saloons are one of the most popular categories of tokens and some bring fantastic prices. exanimo, ss

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
found just recently 3 monarch nevada tokens.....before now there were only twelve known samples....all dug in monarch in 1968.....found 3 last week in tonopah......anyone know where i can find a price listing on them...nevada state tokens book, published in 1992 list them for $100.00, so did the price go up or down....
thanks for the help
lgp

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
down if you persist in telling folks you just increased the supply by 25%. Much better to let folks assume that what you have was from the original discovery. Put your worst one on ebay with a clear photo and tell the story of the original discovery. Don't mention your new discovery. Use the results of that auction to determine the trade or market value of your other two tokens. exanimo, ss

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
down if you persist in telling folks you just increased the supply by 25%.

Right you are, SS!

A lady once asked me about a trade token that she'd found, and I told her it was very rare. She then confided that she'd actually found a large container of them. "How much is it worth?" she asked, and I replied that it was probably at least a $300 find. "One token, or all of them?" The only honest answer was, "It's going to be the same either way, if you tell anyone else what you've just told me!"

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
thanks for the help.....i am really not interested in saling them at the moment so my story doesnt really hurt the value....all i know is i have 3 of 15 known to be found.
thanks again for the help.....will try to get a pic up soon.
lgp

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. I wouldn't wanna invest my earnings in tokens LOL. The collectors are probably cursing us for digging up examples that affect the value of their collection. It is great that we are finding unlisted ones though. We should always try to get them listed in token publications. That way they're recorded, legitimate varieties if we ever part with them. If you ever find a cache of rare tokens, keep in mind that the demand for most tokens is quite small, and the market is easy to saturate. If you ever sell them, make sure you do so singly rather than selling the whole lot.

Buckleboy

D

DornCounty

I can assure you that collectors do not curse detectorists. Many one of a kind tokens have been dug up to go into collections. Collectors love detectorists.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions