Older Dog Tax Tag Question

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at some of my finds from the season and when I came across this dog tax tag I dug in October - I was wondering if the number "1953" or "1887" was the year issued.

I sent a photo of it to a very nice and knowledgeable person who runs a very cool website called "doglicense.org" and she informed me that this tag was indeed from 1887.

My question is this: Are older dog tax tags like this one kind of rare? I have dug many newer ones but this is the first one I've seen from before 1920. I figured I would ask the experts in the "Tags and Tokens" forum as someone may know the answer.

Thanks in advance for any information you care to share with me.

(Enclosed is the photo of the tag)

Attachments

• old dog tax tag.jpg
    old dog tax tag.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 642
  • old dog tax tag.jpg
    old dog tax tag.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 536
OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be made of brass. The numbering is confusing on this.

Thanks for the reply-

drplaztics

Mar 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Tesoro Cutlass II uMax
I would think your best bet would be the St. Paul city/county Administration Building which
would have the most exact information since they should have all the records for tax
purposes.........since unfortunately no one has been able to come up with much information.

exonumia

Greenie
Oct 25, 2005
Rockford IL
Detector(s) used
Buying and Selling exonumia !
While in fact there is some confusion as to the date, from the style of the fonts, it sure appears to be old to me! I'd be happy to buy it as being from 1887, and pay an appropriate price. The ca. 1950 dog tags used a very simple style font, with no serif on the "1", and a plain "7". The "flip" on the end of the "7" is more pre-1900 style, than ca. 1950.

And, the very small extension either side of the bell at the top of "1887" is something not found on modern pieces, nor are the knobs on the top loop.

99% sure this is 1887. St. Paul was a big city in 1887, so 2000 or so issued tags is not unlikely.

Want to be sure? Contact the
ISALC: Internation Society of Animal License Collectors, (dog tags) email Editor Bill Bone at tagman AT attglobal.net, quarterly publication is Paw Prints

Rich

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the replies and the great added information! I'll check into that angle!

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exonumia said:
Want to be sure? Contact the
ISALC: Internation Society of Animal License Collectors, (dog tags) email Editor Bill Bone at tagman AT attglobal.net, quarterly publication is Paw Prints

Rich

I did write to Mr. Bone and received a reply from him that confirmed that this tag was issued in 1887. Good to have that cleared up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions