Possible baggage tags?

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a couple of brass tags this summer and I was hoping someone here could help identify the purpose of them? They are both stamped with the same name - but the second one has a different number on it. (Possibly due to losing the first one? LOL)

I have looked online and in some books but the only thing I can see that resembles this is a baggage tag?

(Both manufactured by the Northwestern Stamp Works of St. Paul - stamped on the reverse)

Thanks for any information you can offer!

Attachments

• reeves tag 1.jpg
    reeves tag 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 223
  • reeves tag 2.jpg
    reeves tag 2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 232

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I'd call this a "claim check", but I don't think of a reason a druggist might use them. I have see similar tags used by jewelers or watch repairmen. Perhaps this drug store had a sideline? A customer would hand over his watch to be repaired and would get the claim check in return. Then when he came back to pick up the item, he would pay for it and turn in the claim check. This arrangement made it such that somebody else could not just "buy" a watch for the cost of its repair. You might check some old city directories for the business and see if he advertised other services.
John in ID

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your reply. I did check on the Census data base and found this person (Reeves) worked at a pharmacy in the "Moore" building on 7th street (Saint Paul, MN) back in the late 1800's. He was also listed in a story as one of a group of pharmacists to help start the first MN School of Pharmacy. This is one of the best parts of this hobby in my opinion. Learning the history! Love it!

I'll keep digging to see what else I can find out.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
black651 said:
Thank you very much for your reply. I did check on the Census data base and found this person (Reeves) worked at a pharmacy in the "Moore" building on 7th street (Saint Paul, MN) back in the late 1800's. He was also listed in a story as one of a group of pharmacists to help start the first MN School of Pharmacy. This is one of the best parts of this hobby in my opinion. Learning the history! Love it!

I'll keep digging to see what else I can find out.

Exactly why i love it too! i'll even research the year in history of any old coins i find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread