Can anyone tell me if this token is listed in the Arizona book?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 100_5357.JPG
    100_5357.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 709

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Erickson's Washington State Trade Tokens lists this piece as being from Prescott, WA, but with no supporting reference information. I don't have Spooner's AZ book, so can't tell if it listed there, but my 1990 copy of Birt's Arizona Tokens & Scrip shows it as Prescott, AZ. This just shows to go ya that "mavericks are not for the feint of heart". Those who attribute tokens without providing support information are not helping the cause.
John in ID

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, do you happen to know the dia. of the Ariz. token?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The Birt AZ book says 24mm, but the picture of it is the same as your token. I would discount the "silly millimeter" of difference as a rounding error. My opinion is that the AZ attribution is better, but that is based solely on the fact that Erickson made a lot of "attributions" in his book based on flimsy evidence, such as the match of "Prescott" to a town in his state. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us to ask. The diework does not look much like anything I have seen from the Pacific Northwest, either.
John in ID

Destiny

Greenie
Feb 10, 2011
Layton, Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites
Arn't tokens just beautiful ?

When I look at this token I try to think about the time when it was made... Brass vs. Aluminum = More $ for Brass. A double sided token took two seperate dies = More $. Money was tight and most used a Stock Die for the reverse... Minimun Orders for both the Salt Lake Stamp & Die and Los Angeles Stamp were 300 tokens... I wonder how many they ordered and how many survived... Many were melted during the War drives for scrap metal. I know you have to be touched in the head to want to collect tokens... Believe me I know... I've been hunting for some specific tokens for decades... I also would go with Arizona on this one... It's not like most Washington tokens.

Destiny

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking token, I bet there are several collectors out there that like to reach into their monitors and pick out what they see, nice find.

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
Listed in Peter Spooner's Arizona catalog. 24mm, same on both sides. Matches your image. He give a value of $30

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Before about 1900 aluminum was a precious metal more valuable than platinum so it would not have been used to make tokens. That helps us to date tokens we find that are made out of aluminum. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread