coal mine token

littleman2

Feb 8, 2011
I am new to this form and from Ohio.I a sorry but I do not have a cameria to post with.
ok here is my problem.I have a coal co. scrip form the Sabine Smokeles Coal Co. IT is from
Caleric W.V. Stamped by ORC.I have resurced this for the past six mouths. What I know is
the mine was at one time in the Widing Coal Feild and the there is one map that shows
the coal camp of Caleric and only one map but no date on the map. Can find no info.on the co.
Can not find anything in books or on line about this token.It has all the normal wording on it like all
other tokens I have seen.One thing I do know that the coal camp of the Sabine mine is stilll there
and was closed down in 1924. When you look at the location of the Sabine camp it is about
22 miles from the one location of the Caleric camp.I callled a freind and they whent to Sabine camp
and looked for the location of the Caleric camp. Can not find it.
If there is anyone who can shed some light on this I would owe that person a great thank you.
Thank all of you who take time to read this post.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have the Edkins Coal Company token book, but the Dodrill book, 20,000 Coal Company Stores says the Sabine Smokeless Coal Co. store was at Caloric in Wyoming County, the mine there had 100 employees, and was in operation in 1927. You might search on this alternate spelling for the camp name. Somebody on the list might be able to shed some more light from the Edkins book.
John in ID

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
1. spelled caloric (wyoming county) in coal catalog. please tell me which is right!

2. the tokens have bckwds ss cutout? right?

3. orco reverse with 'pat. pend.' within the ribbon and 2 diamonds appx 4 and 8 o'clock.

4. the orco reverse patent was stamped pat. pend. appx 1914-30

5. rarity ranges from r8 to r10 only the .05, .25, .50 &1.00 reported to date

6. the .05 has not trans. on front, the others have transferable spelled out.

7. there also was a smith pocahontas coal co. at caloric.

8. the west virginia book is being updated currently and will be re-printed. always looking for more information to add to this new printing. new finds, correcting information, ( like caleric vs. caloric!)

mike w.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions