QUESTION ON 2 TOKENS 1POSSIBLE MAVERICK? Date, history, value?

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 tokens that i am looking for information for and was hoping maybe someone here knows something about them as far as a possible date, history, or even value if any. These tokens were recovered in Mercer county, OH. I don't know if the pictures will upload right or even if they will turn out very well so i apologize in advance. I will try to be as descriptive as possible with the tokens though.

TOKEN #1 I call this token the "Hinders Maverick" It is a square shaped token and appears to be made of brass possibly. It is about the size of a quarter and on the front it has a "5" in the center surrounded by i believe 16 stars. On the back it says"GOOD FOR FIVE CENTS IN TRADE" with the name Joseph Hinders in the center of the back. I was told by a person that they thought it would date around the 1870's but couldn't say for sure...civil war tokens were his thing. If i was on the right track with research Joseph Hinders was the first sheriff of Mercer county from approximately 1901-1907 and was a carpenter by trade previous to his time in law enforcement. I'm not sure if i was on the right track though.

TOKEN #2 Is a parking token, one side says "GOOD FOR PARKING ONLY" along with the words "NARCO" and "DIAMOND BAR, CA". The other side says "GOOD FOR PARKING ONLY" and also has what appear to be the letters "RWM" between parking only. This token is the size of a quarter in shape as a matter of fact i had mistaken it for a quarter until i took a closer look.

I have not been able to find any information about these tokens and was hoping someone could tell me what they are, possibly a date, history, and even a value if any just out of curiosity.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advace.

stringfrenzy

Attachments

• updatedtokens.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
stringfrenzy

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures didn't load right so I'll try again.

Attachments

• tokensfronts.jpg
    tokensfronts.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 236
OP
OP
stringfrenzy

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other side of the tokens. Once again i apologize for picture quality. I'll try to do better the next time i post pictures.

Attachments

• tokensback.jpg
    tokensback.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 243

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Joseph Henders is listed in the 1900 Census for Celina, OH as "Proprietor - Restaurant" so this token probably dates from around that time. It is not listed in Lipscomb's OH Book. Value? Hard to tell - you'd need to find an OH token collector to answer that one.

The parking token is a generic one from that company. When a parking lot control system was installed, the owner could either elect to have a custom token made or use the generic one supplied by the maker of the gate. The generic ones are by far the most common and consequently worth under $1.

John in ID

OP
OP
stringfrenzy

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info on the tokens John. I did not realize that Joseph Hinders was a proprietor of a restaurant. I would be interested in knowing how you found him in the census records, i haven't had much experience or luck with those things and thought that census records may shed light on a couple of properties I'm currently trying to research.

I guess the parking token isn't all that interesting but maybe there's still something more that an Ohio collector could tell me about the Hinders token. I talked with a local civil war token collector about it last year and he seemed rather intrigued by it but could find no reference in any of his token books about it and passed away shortly after that time. Also if anyone else has any information, throw it out there.

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Stringfrenzy

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi--

I am having the guy who is working on an update to the OH token book contact you via e-mail offline. He has a neat business card from Mrs. Joseph's restaurant and has a directory listing for Joseph as a saloon-keeper in the 1890s.

The censuses provide a snapshot of most people every 10 years - there were always a few who were missed by the census takers. The most recent one available is 1930 (the law says the Census Bureau has to wait 72 years to release the info) and the 1890 one was mostly destroyed by fire. Larger genealogical and historical libraries have the censuses on microfilm, but the indexing to them is not terribly helpful. Recently, at least two commercial outfits have scanned the images and indexed them for their online (but by subscription) service. That makes it relatively easy to find people in the censuses. In fact, the main one I use - Ancestry.com - just announced completion of their indexing project and has opened at least part of their service for free for the next day or so. The other one, Heritage Quest, is one that many libraries subscribe to. Some of the subscribing libraries allow remote access to their patrons, making the service available via the Internet.

The Indiana-Kentucky-Ohio Token and Medal Society is an active collector group for those three states - they have meetings at various points (most seem to be in OH) a couple of times a year. If you are interested, PM me and I will get the membership info to you. It is under $10 per year and includes a newsletter.

John in ID

OP
OP
stringfrenzy

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John

Tried to get some better pictures of the Hinders token. Thanks for all the help thus far. I've learned of more information on this token in the last few days than local collectors were able to tell me when i recovered it from a depth of 7" 2 yrs. ago.

Stringfrenzy

Attachments

• HINDERS BACK.JPG
    HINDERS BACK.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 215
OP
OP
stringfrenzy

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that, I thought i had both pictures there. Here's the front side of the Hinders token. :)

Attachments

• HINDERS FRONT.JPG
    HINDERS FRONT.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 215
  • HINDERS FRONT.JPG
    HINDERS FRONT.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 197
  • HINDERS FRONT.JPG
    HINDERS FRONT.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 218

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread