Cleaning tip needed for dug 1904 Worlds Fair Token

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Cleaning tip needed for dug 1904 World's Fair Token

Hi;

I dug this token quite some time ago on a hill side in Virginia among civil war bullets. It was supposed to be a soldier's ID tag but instead the relic gods decided to play a joke on me. My two digging partners thought it was hilarious. Oh well. From research on the internet I know it to be a 1904 Majestic Stove World's Fair token. The Virginia soil was not kind to it. I'm trying to think of some way to clean it to bring out the detail. I was thinking of tumbling it in walnut shell but open to other ideas first.

Recommendations?

Attachments

• 1904..JPG
    1904..JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 303

Destiny

Greenie
Feb 10, 2011
Layton, Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites
Re: Cleaning tip needed for dug 1904 World's Fair Token

Naval Jelly to remove the rust....apply with a soft toothbrush until it stops bubbling... wipe with a dry towel. a Little brasso and repeat back and forth with the Naval Jelly until the black spots are bright red or pink then when your sure the rust is removed... cover coin with a q-tip with a product called "Nic-A-Tone" you can buy it off the internet or Ebay. Apply the Nic-A-Tone with a slow circular motion... this actually will re-tone it back to look old then a light coat of olive oil and let dry.

This process works great on Copper or Brass Tokens... the Naval Jelly works great on Aluminum Tokens as well. But it is only recommended for corroded Tokens and not regular US coinage that the abrasives in the Brasso could reduce the Numismatic Value... But Tokens.. Go for it.

Destiny

OP
OP
Digger54

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Re: Cleaning tip needed for dug 1904 World's Fair Token

Thanks for the helpful tips Destiny. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread