diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some information if possible on this token.Mainly if it is listed and if so how much is it worth.It is composed of gilt brass and resembles a $10.00 gold piece.The coronet on the liberty head reads E.LYON.The border features stars and reads 424 Broadway NY.The reverse reads MAGNETIC POWDER & PILLS FOR INSECTS AND RATS.It seems to measure 29-30 mm in diameter.I can't find it in any references that I have.Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• token-1.jpg
    token-1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 194
  • token-2.jpg
    token-2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 185

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hey, Dig...

It's c. 1850's... just a tad after the Hard Times era. Several varieties: reeded edge, plain edge, lettered border, stars border, etc. Worth about $10, VF, although you can find some really insane higher prices on certain websites.

There's also a smaller version resembling a $5 gold piece.

These pieces are listed in the "U.S. Merchant - New York" section of the Standard Catalog of United States Tokens, 1700-1900 by Russell Rulau.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick id.I need one of those catalogs.Actually I have a copy from 1981 but maybe I missed it.I generally won't pay much for anything off the web.So 24 bucks is too much for me on this then.LOL,I was bidding on an 1802 draped bust half cent yesterday.I actually thought I had a chance on winning it,hahahaha.It's up to $1375.00 with 40 minutes left to bid right now.My max was $50.00.That's too funny. ;D Nice coin though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions