G.H. Bishop 2 1/2 c. token. Help appreciated!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently dug a token that I can find absolutely no info on. Its slightly bigger than a U.S. nickel, shaped kinda like a flower, and appears to be made of aluminum. On the front it says, "G.H. Bishop" and "Good for 2 1/2 c. in trade" I can't make all of the writing on the back. I think I see "S.E. Schmidt Co. Inc." witten in a semi-circle around the numbers "1809 11", and the word "Olive".

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a "St. Louis-Made, Part Incuse" token made by the E. A. Schmidt Company of St. Louis. Yours is probably worn on the reverse (typical of the breed) so you can't see it, but it says "St. Louis" underneath the Olive St. address. Where G. H. Bishop was is currently unknown, but research on these "maverick tokens" is continuing. The Schmidt tokens were sold to customers in a vast area of the country, so just because it was made in St. Louis doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you found it in Arkansas, that is a possible hint.
John in ID

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Glenn H. Bishop is listed in the 1934 Dun & Bradstreet as a filling station in Brookland, AR. By 1937, the listing is Wayne M. Bishop as filling station & confectionery in Brookland.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tokensmith said:
Glenn H. Bishop is listed in the 1934 Dun & Bradstreet as a filling station in Brookland, AR. By 1937, the listing is Wayne M. Bishop as filling station & confectionery in Brookland.

Great! I was hoping it was local.

Thanks for the info everyone. It is GREATLY appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread