Chicago Transit Authority Token Found

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
Last October I found this early 1950s CTA token. It wasn't until yesterday that I found out that these tokens are becoming rare because they were all removed 20 millions from circulation in 1999 and just about 2000 remained unmelted to be converted into jewelry. I'm glad I found it and wil be looking for more. This one I first deemed as just a token and now I know it has some value on it!

Attachments

• CTA Token 1.JPG
    CTA Token 1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,080
  • CTA Token 2.JPG
    CTA Token 2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 915

Hoze513

Dec 7, 2010
Joliet, ILL.
Detector(s) used
Bh Pioneer 505 Fisher f2 Spectrum XLT
Nice token I remember when I was a kid using those tokens to get on the train.

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
Hoze513 said:
Nice token I remember when I was a kid using those tokens to get on the train.

Nice! I guess that most transit users exchanged them for the passes.

buckhunter2100

Tenderfoot
Apr 2, 2011
North Tonawanda,NY
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900Di
Nice Find... :icon_thumright: That token is listed in the catalog as Chicago 150 ACo. That token started use in 1957 and is 20mm in size. The token lists for .75 cents in the catalog.....Anyways I hope that helps and nice transit token...

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
buckhunter2100 said:
Nice Find... :icon_thumright: That token is listed in the catalog as Chicago 150 ACo. That token started use in 1957 and is 20mm in size. The token lists for .75 cents in the catalog.....Anyways I hope that helps and nice transit token...

Very nice! Thanks for the info.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chicago transit authority; Questions 67 & 68 :headbang:
when Chicago Was still worth listening to :laughing7:

Anyway Cool Token !

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
jeff of pa said:

Anyway Cool Token !

Thanks! :hello:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
jeff of pa said:

Anyway Cool Token !
25, or 3:54 AM

I think that token is worth more than 75 cents. I think it would be a steal at $2.

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
I think that token is worth more than 75 cents. I think it would be a steal at $2.
[/quote]

$2 or $3 is good! Thanks. Very rare to find indeed.

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
joecontreras said:
Is there a way to date these? I have one exactly as this one pictured except it is very silvery and newish looking.

Yes there is. Look for reply #5 to this post. It tells you about a catalog that depicts them. HH

joecontreras

Jun 19, 2011
cyberborikua said:
joecontreras said:
Is there a way to date these? I have one exactly as this one pictured except it is very silvery and newish looking.

Yes there is. Look for reply #5 to this post. It tells you about a catalog that depicts them. HH

I see where it says "catalog" but not what catalog specifically.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The standard reference is Atwood's Catalogue of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens. The American Vecturist Association www.vecturist.com would be a source for info on buying a copy, or larger libraries may have it.
John in ID

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Transportation tokens are always fun to find. I remember when I found my CTA token I read somewhere that people were hording them and they had to set a limit to how many rolls of tokens people could buy.

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Gimmie The Loot said:
Transportation tokens are always fun to find. I remember when I found my CTA token I read somewhere that people were hording them and they had to set a limit to how many rolls of tokens people could buy.

That's true, but also because people hoard anything they feel may have value in the future. Nice find on the silver plated tokens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread