dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
I found this today while detecting. My first thought was that must be one old website lol. After doing a little research, it appears to be some sort of tag or license for a fish or turtle net. The tag measures 1 x 1 1/4 inches. Let me know what you think. Thanks, JJ

hoopnet1931.jpg

buckhunter2100

Tenderfoot
Apr 2, 2011
North Tonawanda,NY
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900Di
JJ.....Nice Find!!!!!! :icon_thumright:
I believe that tag is some sorta state issued tag for trapping (either fur or frog). Alot of states had tags you had to buy for your trap lines wither it was fin or fur. You might be able to look up what era that tag was used meaning that its from 1931 but they might of switched from state tags to town issued tags at some point. That can give you a idea how long those "hoop net" ones were issued by the state. Very nice find.....Jason

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Thanks buckhunter, I think you are right. I'm hoping to hear back from the Iowa DNR with any info. JJ

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
I received some info from the Iowa DNR:

Thanks for your inquiry. We have bounced your pictures around through a few people here and can give you a little history. Net fishing though no longer legal in Iowa was and is a major part of fishing throughout the United States. Hoop nets which look similar to a children’s butterfly net would be positioned in a river and then checked periodically. The tag identifies the net much the same way as an id tag would on a trap line. A quick online check shows that South Carolina still issues them at $10.00 a piece. I would imagine this piece originally sold for 5-10 cents but we have no records going back that far that would identify the retail price or the original purchaser. Hope this helps in your quest and thank you for sharing the piece of our Iowa history with us.

Regards

Justin D. Alliss
Account Manager
Law Enforcement Bureau
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
515-281-6464

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Thanks for the response Dick. I offered thanks to Mr. Alliss of the Iowa DNR for all his help and also received his permission to post his response. JJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread