Hawaii Unlisted Dairy Tokens

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
Recently I have posted some finds of Waialua Agricultural Co. dairy tokens. At that time it was thought that I have found a GF 1 Pint of Milk listed as Medcalf/Russell No. 2TD-28 and an "Unlisted" GF 1 Quart. Apparently the 1 Pint token is also unlisted. Question: Are the unlisted type tokens more valuable than the listed version. I have found the comparison of the "listed" & "unlisted" version in www.tokencatalog.com. Mahalo & Aloha from Hawaii!

Attachments

• WAIALUA TOKEN_Unlisted Pint_obs.JPG
    WAIALUA TOKEN_Unlisted Pint_obs.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 245
  • WAIALUA TOKEN_Unlisted Pint_rev.jpg
    WAIALUA TOKEN_Unlisted Pint_rev.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 247
  • WAIALUA TOKEN_Unlisted Qt_obs.jpg
    WAIALUA TOKEN_Unlisted Qt_obs.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 212
  • WAIALUA TOKEN_Unlisted Qt_rev.jpg
    WAIALUA TOKEN_Unlisted Qt_rev.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 232
Dec 19, 2006
According to Reiter (Catalog of Dairy or Milk Tokens and Related Exonumia) both are listed in Medcalf and Russell. Not everyone has the state catalogs to refer to when inputting into www.tokencatalog.com. There is also a 1/2 pint token; 2TD-27. The 1 pint is 2TD-28. The 1 quart is 2TD-30. All 3 come with a '1' counter-stamped on the obverse (front). All are rare.

OP
OP
808beginnerdigger

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
silverbullet1847 said:
According to Reiter (Catalog of Dairy or Milk Tokens and Related Exonumia) both are listed in Medcalf and Russell. Not everyone has the state catalogs to refer to when inputting into www.tokencatalog.com. There is also a 1/2 pint token; 2TD-27. The 1 pint is 2TD-28. The 1 quart is 2TD-30. All 3 come with a '1' counter-stamped on the obverse (front). All are rare.

Is the "1" counter-stamped on the reverse or obverse? Here's the bottles that compliments the tokens. These were also hard to find. Thanks so much for your response...

Attachments

• WA Co. Dairy Ltd.JPG
    WA Co. Dairy Ltd.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
808beginnerdigger

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
silverbullet1847 said:
The counter-stamp is on the front. I have never seen it.

I haven't seen it either. Pictured in the 1991 Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog by Medcalf/Russell, #2TD-31 has a incused "1" on both sides. I haven't found any of those yet and would be great to have one for a complete set. Thanks Again!

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
Both of these tokens are varieties, which are unlisted in Medcalf's catalog.

2TD-29, 1 Quart, is illustrated by line drawing in Medcalf's catalog, but the comment refers to a "plain 1" The drawing does not show the lower horizontal line on the 1.
It is possible the drawing is wrong, and the comment is wrong... as I have never seen an example of the token illustrated in Medcalf.

2TD-28, 1 Pint, is photographed in Medcalf's catalog. The ornaments are distinctly different form the token you posted. This is a square token. 2TD-30, referenced in the earlier post is for an octagonal token. Your variety is unlisted in Medcalf's catalog.

Both of these are listed on the TokenCatalog website. A number of these tokens have appeared on the market in the past year or so. I believe a group of these tokens were recently found in Hawaii and are working their way into the market. When they first appeared, I purchased examples of both for $60 each. I'm not sure that price will hold today.

Richard - TokenCatalog.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread