Tobacco Token Old? $$?

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I don't know if this token is that old or if it's worth anything but it's one of my favorites, found is old house back yard this spring when there was still a little snow on the ground!
SCHERMANN & CO MILWAUKEE on the obv. and on the rev. CIGARS & TOBACCO WHOLESALE & RETAIL 274 WEST WATER ST.

Attachments

• tokenone.jpg
    tokenone.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 310
  • tokentwo.jpg
    tokentwo.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 314

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The name is actually E. ASCHERMAN & CO. It's a Civil War "store card" (merchant's token, typically traded as a cent), and I believe it's the variety listed as #WI510A-1a in U.S. Civil War Store Cards by George & Melvin Fuld.

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
After getting that info from PBK (thanks again) I went on the net and did some more digging- I couldn't believe what I read- they say that in terms of how rare it is that it's a R8 on a scale of 1-10 with ten being one of a kind. After a survey of all the known large collectors or dealers or whatever they came up with a census of there being between 4-9 of these known! Wow, too bad it's not a coin that rare- I would be rich. I don't think I will ever find anything more rare than this!

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
DANG!! I didn't read all that! I seen a picture of it and I said yep, that's it... I will have to check it for the other mentioned characteristics when I get home today.. I'm all but positive that it's copper- no brass. I'm pretty sure that it's a reeded edge. thanks for the additional info- appreciate it!

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I checked it yesterday and it does have a reeded edge *YIPEE!!!!* Now my question would be how can I tell for sure what it's made of? I'm not sure what a copper-nickel alloy would look like.. I would think that I would recognize if it were brass although with the age I might not.. I'm really not sure what it is made of.. it doesn't seem quite right to be copper but it could be my imagination.... can anybody give me a guess by looking at the scan? The scan is true in terms of color, it looks the same in my hand as in the scan.. Thanks!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice find, WTG!!!
Looks to be in very good condition too, ex-specally for it's age...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Cannonman17 said:
I checked it yesterday and it does have a reeded edge *YIPEE!!!!* Now my question would be how can I tell for sure what it's made of?

As far as I know, the reeded-edge variety was struck only in copper. Catalog #WI510A-1a1

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Hmm.. that's probably what it is then... it's the same size as a penny it just doesn't "feel" like one. Perhaps I have a unique piece ;) No, I would never be that lucky. Thanks again PBK for all your help.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Cannonman17 said:
Hmm.. that's probably what it is then... it's the same size as a penny it just doesn't "feel" like one. Perhaps I have a unique piece ;) No, I would never be that lucky. Thanks again PBK for all your help.

Anytime!

BTW, the copper-nickel (CN) tokens are pretty much the same alloy as used for the early, so-called "white" Indian Head cents. In fact, some Civil War tokens were struck using those same cents as planchets:

http://www.indiancent.com/market/801616017.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread