Tobacco Token Old? $$?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jul 2006
    Wisconsin
    28 times

Tobacco Token Old? $$?

I don't know if this token is that old or if it's worth anything but it's one of my favorites, found is old house back yard this spring when there was still a little snow on the ground!
    SCHERMANN & CO MILWAUKEE on the obv. and on the rev. CIGARS & TOBACCO WHOLESALE & RETAIL 274 WEST WATER ST.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "A culture truly grows great when old men plant trees in who's shade they know they will never sit"

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    300 times

Re: Tobacco Token Old? $$?

Nice find . Can find any info on Schermann yet but will keep looking!.
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

PBK

May 2005
    231 times

The name is actually E. ASCHERMAN & CO. It's a Civil War "store card" (merchant's token, typically traded as a cent), and I believe it's the variety listed as #WI510A-1a in U.S. Civil War Store Cards by George & Melvin Fuld.

Jul 2006
    Wisconsin
    28 times

Wow, I knew somebody would be able to tell me something, thanks so much.
    "A culture truly grows great when old men plant trees in who's shade they know they will never sit"

us
    This aint no damn flea circus!!!

Mar 2006
    Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Eastern Idaho!
    Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
    22 times

Wow, we knew PBK would be the one to know about it!
    "Agitate! Agitate! Ought to be the motto of every reformer. Agitation is the opposite of stagnation...... one is life, the other death."
    -Ernestine L. Rose-

Jul 2006
    Wisconsin
    28 times

After getting that info from PBK (thanks again) I went on the net and did some more digging- I couldn't believe what I read- they say that in terms of how rare it is that it's a R8 on a scale of 1-10 with ten being one of a kind. After a survey of all the known large collectors or dealers or whatever they came up with a census of there being between 4-9 of these known! Wow, too bad it's not a coin that rare- I would be rich. I don't think I will ever find anything more rare than this!

PBK

May 2005
    231 times

It's a neat find, all right. The most common variety is rated R5. If the edge is reeded rather than plain, R8; if the metal is brass or copper-nickel rather than copper, R9; if the reverse is an incuse of the obverse, R10.

Couple of links you might enjoy checking out:

http://www.cwtsociety.com/

http://www.exonumia.com/links.htm

Jul 2006
    Wisconsin
    28 times

DANG!! I didn't read all that! I seen a picture of it and I said yep, that's it... I will have to check it for the other mentioned characteristics when I get home today.. I'm all but positive that it's copper- no brass. I'm pretty sure that it's a reeded edge. thanks for the additional info- appreciate it!

Jul 2006
    Wisconsin
    28 times

I checked it yesterday and it does have a reeded edge *YIPEE!!!!* Now my question would be how can I tell for sure what it's made of? I'm not sure what a copper-nickel alloy would look like.. I would think that I would recognize if it were brass although with the age I might not.. I'm really not sure what it is made of.. it doesn't seem quite right to be copper but it could be my imagination.... can anybody give me a guess by looking at the scan? The scan is true in terms of color, it looks the same in my hand as in the scan.. Thanks!

us
    Jul 2004
    Indy
    Cz3d
    21 times

Very nice find, WTG!!!
    Looks to be in very good condition too, ex-specally for it's age...
    Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

PBK

May 2005
    231 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonman17
    I checked it yesterday and it does have a reeded edge *YIPEE!!!!* Now my question would be how can I tell for sure what it's made of?
    As far as I know, the reeded-edge variety was struck only in copper. Catalog #WI510A-1a1

Jul 2006
    Wisconsin
    28 times

Hmm.. that's probably what it is then... it's the same size as a penny it just doesn't "feel" like one. Perhaps I have a unique piece No, I would never be that lucky. Thanks again PBK for all your help.

PBK

May 2005
    231 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonman17
    Hmm.. that's probably what it is then... it's the same size as a penny it just doesn't "feel" like one. Perhaps I have a unique piece No, I would never be that lucky. Thanks again PBK for all your help.
    Anytime!

BTW, the copper-nickel (CN) tokens are pretty much the same alloy as used for the early, so-called "white" Indian Head cents. In fact, some Civil War tokens were struck using those same cents as planchets:

http://www.indiancent.com/market/801616017.jpg

Sponsored Links