NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was under the impression that they aren't particularly valuable, but I saw a couple for sale at a junk shop for 8 bucks each. I thought they were worth under a dollar a piece so I'm guessing they just hope someone doesn't know that and will pay too much, or has the value gone up for some reason? Here's a list of the ones I have :

Louisiana..
3 luxury tax 5 mill made of brass I think
2 welfare tax 5 mill also brass
14 public welfare 1 mill
13 luxury 1 mill

2 Mississippi 1 mill sales tax
2 Alabama 1 mill luxury tax
1 Alabama 1 mill sales tax

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right - they aren't particularly valuable. Sellers generally don't know the value of stuff outside their area of expertise and often pull a figure out of the air. Then they wonder why sales are slow.

Schimmel's Tax Tokens book is fairly dated (2nd edition is 1980), but if you are interested in that area, locate a copy. There are differences between the most common and the rare, but the highest-valued example in the book is $9.

John in ID

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an old rusty tax token from Illinois last weekend... found the same thing in good condition on ebay for 99cents!

Attachments

• TaxToken.JPG
    TaxToken.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,688
  • TaxToken.JPG
    TaxToken.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,236

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gimmie The Loot said:
I found an old rusty tax token from Illinois last weekend... found the same thing in good condition on ebay for 99cents!

found the same type, and a couple of others. never knew what they would sell for.... but it looks like retirement won't happen any sooner :laughing7:

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,833

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
To my thinking the best as a class are the illinois tokens that
list a town name. Like anything else some are easier to find than others.
According to the price guides the most expensive is one of the new mexico varieties. Some folks like the cardboard mill tokens that were blank on one side and the merchants would print their names on them. Don't know the
value but they would appeal to regular tokens collectors, town collectors and wooden money collectors. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread