999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
No, not a token. But it is a pole tag - when utility poles (pet peeve of mine is that most people call them telephone poles, even though almost all of them are owned by the power company, and now a high percentage of telephone lines are underground) are placed, the buried part is treated with creosote to prevent rot. After many years in the ground under certain conditions, the utility company pays a contractor to come through and dig out the bases of poles and re-creosote them. Tags like this are nailed to the post to indicate which company did the treating and when it was done.
John in ID

OP
OP
999digger

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
idahotokens said:
No, not a token. But it is a pole tag - when utility poles (pet peeve of mine is that most people call them telephone poles, even though almost all of them are owned by the power company, and now a high percentage of telephone lines are underground) are placed, the buried part is treated with creosote to prevent rot. After many years in the ground under certain conditions, the utility company pays a contractor to come through and dig out the bases of poles and re-creosote them. Tags like this are nailed to the post to indicate which company did the treating and when it was done.
John in ID
Thank you. I couldn't find much on the internet other than the photo. Very interesting.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread