texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi RR,
I checked my printout on Texas barbers. There are no Turners listed as barbers in Rockwell that I can find. Nor were there any Turner Bros. or Turner and Turner barbers listed. However there were men named Turner that were barbers in towns near Rockwall (which as you know is just east of Dallas): Greenville TX shows a Turner and Anderson barbers in 1892, Dallas TX had a J.B. Turner barber in 1914; Greenville TX had an R.B. Turner as barber in 1890.
My guess is that the token may be the same Turner barber that is listed in Greenville, Texas..as the token looks of the style used around 1890 to 1900, and possibly R.B. had a brother that he went into business with. Of course this is just speculation, but since the token was found in Rockwall, between Greenville and Dallas, that is a good a guess as I can come up with.

By the way, I did just check the new Iowa token book and it does not list a Turner Bros. barber token from Storm Lake or any other location...that is not to say it is not from Storm Lake, ...only that it is not listed in the Iowa token book by Gary Henderson. One must decide if you believe it is from where-ever, based on historical records and where the token was found and any other information (such as how old you believe the token to be, etc).

OP
OP
Relic Ron

Relic Ron

Mar 18, 2009
Rockwall, Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX, Shadow X2, Fisher 1280, AT Pro
Doing a little research on the Turner Brothers token I found a few years back, I ran across some newspapers talking about the Big Fire in Rockwall. It happened in January 1904 and there were several business in the downtown area damaged, one in which was the Turner Brothers Barber Shop.
Even though the token does not have the name of a town on it, and since I found it at a house less than a hundred yards from downtown I strongly feel this token was theirs.
By the way I never thanked texasvarmit and Mackaydon for the info...Thanks Guys

The Democrat. (McKinney, Tex.), Vol. 20, No. 52, Ed. 1 Thursday, January 28, 1904, Sequence: 5 | The Portal to Texas History

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread