Attachments

• tax token.jpg
    tax token.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,415

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fbjr said:
Can anyone help date this and let me know if there is any value to this token I found ? It's a Missouri sales tax receipt token that I found here in upstate NY. Not sure how it ended up here and it has me curious. Both sides look the the same. Thanks for looking !

Really great pics. That's what is known as an "invisible token."

OP
OP
F

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, sorry.... you hit it right on the nose ;D

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 5 cent one in South Carolina. These must be one of the most common tokens out there because I've seen them posted on here numerous times.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another onliners response to the same Q. a couple of years ago:
"You have a Depression era tax token. It is from the 1930's and some states mostly western used them. Sales taxes were new and very low sometimes it figured out to less than a cent. They used the mil denomination for it was less than a cent, 100 to a cent I believe. Sales tax tokens are worth around a $1 each. Most states stopped using them after a few years as times got better and prices started to rise ."
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
and another response:
First produced in 1935, sales tax tokens were used to make change for sales tax paid. Missouri was one of only 12 states to employ this practice. After a few years, both retailers and the public found their use to be too much trouble, and they were discontinued.

OP
OP
F

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting, thanks for the info !!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Don--a mill was 1/10¢, so ten to the cent. These tokens were used in areas where they didn't use the bracketing techniques commonly used today (i.e. 1-15¢ sale = 1¢ tax, 16-30¢ sale = 2¢ tax, etc.). Back then a 5¢ sale meant maybe a 2/10¢ tax, so it cost the consumer 6¢ and s/he got back 8 mills in tokens. That's why so many of them were required, and since they weren't worth a lot and were a cheap souvenir, tourists carried them home, thus scattering them all over the U. S. of A.
John in the 208

Magicmantx

Jan 15, 2018
Cherokee Village
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread but I actually dug one of these today . ATP hit 76 @ 8" pretty cool find for me . Oldest thing I've found yet

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread but I actually dug one of these today . ATP hit 76 @ 8" pretty cool find for me . Oldest thing I've found yet

Congrats on finding one. They are really pretty cool to collect. Every state had different designs and differnt denominations were different still. In Oklahoma (where I live) the 1 mil tokens are EVERYWHERE old enough to hold them. They are aluminum but typically ring up like pennies. Then the 5 mils were brass and are far less common to find. Some were even made of pressboard paper.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding one. They are really pretty cool to collect. Every state had different designs and differnt denominations were different still. In Oklahoma (where I live) the 1 mil tokens are EVERYWHERE old enough to hold them. They are aluminum but typically ring up like pennies. Then the 5 mils were brass and are far less common to find. Some were even made of pressboard paper.

Those 1 mil pressed and cardboard tokens don't ring up very well, about like the plastic Missouri ones :laughing7:
Although originally issued in the depression, Oklahoma used them longer than most states. I have a handful of OK tax tokens.

Here is a good reference site: "Sales Tax Token Encyclopedia and Catalog"

I think the values shown on the common tokens is way off, look at the tax token lot prices on Ebay and you'll see many in the 10 cents each or less range.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I bought a full collection of OK tokens from ebay for a couple dollars. They would be a lot more fun to dig up if they werent reduced to corroded, crumbly discs by the time we find them!

Oh, I've the secret detector settings for finding the paper and plastic ones. :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool token I need one now!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread