Tokens and Medals

scortch

Sep 2, 2011
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
MInelab E-TRac Whites V3i
I want to post a couple of recent finds from in and around Boise, ID. I am hoping someone, "John" could help me idetify them. The aluminum token is kinda toasty but it looks like Wallis Bros? The days of 49 is the same on the obverse. The Navada medal is a thick one, about twice a quarter and quite heavy. The amusement token is kinda cool I haven't seen one with a hole in it, are they common?
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• wallis cigar A.jpg
    wallis cigar A.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Wallis cigar B.jpg
    Wallis cigar B.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 111
  • curtis cigar.jpg
    curtis cigar.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 102
  • curtis cigar II.jpg
    curtis cigar II.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 97
  • days of 49.JPG
    days of 49.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Navada 100th B.JPG
    Navada 100th B.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 90
  • amusement token B.jpg
    amusement token B.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 98
  • amusement token A.jpg
    amusement token A.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 387

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Scortch--Nice finds! I had to laugh because the Wallis Bros. token is about the same as mine - they both had a rough life in the underground. I have yet to determine exactly when the Wallis Brothers, Charles & Theodore, had their cigar store, but I suspect around 1907. There's a dandy photo of the inside of it in the Idaho Statesman's book, Treasure Valley Memories.

The Curtis Cigar Store was in Boise at 215 North 8th Street ca. 1911-15. The proprietor, William Dean Curtis, was also a printer at the Idaho Daily Statesman which at that time was located at 6th & Main. His printing job was probably at night because the paper was a morning one, so he may have managed the cigar store in the evenings and hired a manager when he couldn't be there.

The H. R. & G. C. one is listed in Hemphill's Oregon token book as from Huntington where the initials are shown to mean Huntington Rifle & Gun Club.

Amusement tokens often came with center holes. Some types of machines had devices in the coin slot to accept only holed tokens and reject coins.

John in the 208

Attachments

• MVC-652F.JPG
    MVC-652F.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 133
  • MVC-651F.JPG
    MVC-651F.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 122

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, Don, Annie Laurie Bird died in 1972.
John in the 208

OP
OP
scortch

scortch

Sep 2, 2011
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
MInelab E-TRac Whites V3i
Thanks John and Don, as always, great info and identification! Those aluminum tokens take such a beating.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, that aluminum should clean up nicely with a little rubbing with a brass brush.
There's a lot of detail showing through.
Tokens are always a great find for me, sadly, they seem to be the Red-headed-stepchild of the detecting business!
Carl

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
This is the sad fate for pull-tabs 100 years from now so save all your nice shiny ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions