Jar FULL Of Old Trade Tokens!

SaskTreasurehunter

Apr 24, 2012
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/4.5 Sniper Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_2512.JPG I went to an estate sale and got this in a box of old bottles. Wondering if I have anything of any worth. I have 3 tokens that say on one side " LIBERTY BELL" and the other side" GOOD FOR 5c IN TRADE". I also have 1 that is aluminum and the hole in the center is a clowns mouth and says " FUN TOKEN" and on the other side says " GOOD FOR A LAUGH TODAY". I also have about 20 or 30 more but thought these were the most interesting. Some of which are just plain good for 5 cents in trade tokens. Any help is appreciated.:icon_thumleft:
P.S.- at bottom is a quarter for size.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like somebody cleaned out an old slot machine. These look to be nickel-sized tokens and that was typical of a lot of slot machines. The Liberty Bell, for instance, was a type of bar top machine that was manufactured by several companies. The sucker...er customer would put 5¢ in the machine, pull the handle, and, on occasion, would get a payoff in these tokens which he could then spend at the cigar or candy counter of the pool hall he was in. They are pretty common and not worth much. You might list the other types you have. Google "Liberty Bell" slot machine and you can see pics of this particular one.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
SaskTreasurehunter

SaskTreasurehunter

Apr 24, 2012
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/4.5 Sniper Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have an aluminum token that says "NO CASH OR TRADE VALUE WHATSEVER" and the other side says "LOANED FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY"
3-Brass tokens that say " PROPERTY OF JENNINGS M nt VENDOR"(possibly jennings slot machine?)
9-Brass tokens that say"CANADA MINT Co." and onthe other side "GOOD FOR 5c FOR TRADE"
7-Brass tokens that say"REX NOVELTIES EDMONTON" and on the other side say"GOOD FOR 5c IN TRADE"
???1- Brass token that says"24864" and has 2 little ribbons at the bottom and nothing on the other side.
1-BLANK aluminum token (about nickel sized)
1 Brass token that says"CHRIST CAFE 5" and the other side says the same.
1 BLANK brass token
1-Brass token that says"TOTEM MFG. Co. Head Office Calgary"
1 Brass token that says"W.M.C. Made IN Canada" and the other side says " GOOD FOR 5c IN TRADE"
1- Brass token that say on one side" FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY" and on the other side says"THIS TOKEN HAS NO CASH OR TRADE VALUE"
4-Aluminum tokens that have a hectagonal hole in center and say"FOR AMUZMENT ONLY BANTAM" and the other side says"THIS TOKEN HAS NO CASH OR TRADE VALUE"
2-Brass tokens that say"WESTERN MINT" and on the other side says" GOOD FOR 5c IN TRADE".
1-Aluminum token that says"THIS TOKEN IS PROPERTY OF TODAY VENDOR.LOANED FOR AMUSEMENT" and the other side says"FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY"
7-Brass tokens that say"THIS TOKEN IS PROPERTY OF TODAY VENDOR.LOANED FOR AMUSEMENT" and the other side says"FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY"
1 Brass token that says"THIS TOKEN HAS NO CASH OR TRADE VALUE" and the other side says"FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY"
These are all of the other tokens I got. Hope this helps.

bobbutler

Apr 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Information about token:

View attachment 629638 I went to an estate sale and got this in a box of old bottles. Wondering if I have anything of any worth. I have 3 tokens that say on one side " LIBERTY BELL" and the other side" GOOD FOR 5c IN TRADE". I also have 1 that is aluminum and the hole in the center is a clowns mouth and says " FUN TOKEN" and on the other side says " GOOD FOR A LAUGH TODAY". I also have about 20 or 30 more but thought these were the most interesting. Some of which are just plain good for 5 cents in trade tokens. Any help is appreciated.:icon_thumleft:
P.S.- at bottom is a quarter for size.

Information for this token and many of the others which you have is to be found on TokenCatalog.com

Good Luck.

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as Idahotokens said, most of the holed (as made) tokens, the size of a 5 cent coin, are slot machine type tokens, used widely in the USA and Canada etc, in the 1910s 1920s and 1930s, some into the 40s and 50s. The ones with numbers on them and a good for 5c reverse are the most common:
attachment.php

the above numbered tokens have the good for 5c reverse and were found by me under an old hotel at the railroad tracks in Ft. Worth Texas with metal detector.

the 3 coins at bot: Indian head cent, USA nickel, and Mexico 1 cent coin.

bobbutler

Apr 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly, you'll get more knowledge than monetary remuneration for those tokens. Tokens are like women, they come in all shapes, and sizes ... and they're all interesting! B.B.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread