BBC token needs iding
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    17123105628 is my cell plz look on FB Detecting the Heart land and Deep digging Iowa. There you'll find me posting.

Apr 2008
    MV, IA
    Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
    214 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

BBC token needs iding

Found this is Council Bluffs,IA yesterday eve along with a 1902 IH. Ive already checked Richard tokens data base, no luck there.

GOOD FOR/ 5 /GEORGE GARNER /CENTS /IN TRADE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbc token.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	633795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbctokenrev.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	633796  
    What you do in life, will echo a eternity,
    OIF 2007-2008, OEF 2010-2011

us
    Feb 2011
    35 times
    George Gardner is a fairly common name, so an exact attribution may be difficult. This token was struck in the early 1880's, so should have an attribution date between 1881-1884. It was struck in Chicago by L. Bosche, and other examples of these dies have been attributed to states surrounding Illinois. (no West Coast, Southern, or East Coast states). The business is likely a saloon. There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1880 Census for Philadelphia, PA, but this is probably too early an attribution There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1887 Pottsville, PA city directory, but this is probably too late an attribution There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1890 Spokane, WA city directory, but this is too late and too far from Chicago for this style token Trying to look at Iowa a little closer... There was a George Gardner, listed as barber in the 1878 Davenport, IA city directory There are 35 different George Gardner's listed in the 1880 census for Iowa... (many with a middle initial, which I have been ignoring) If it would be OK to post on the TokenCatlaog website, please let me know. Thanks. Richard Stay tuned.. just realize I was searching for GARDNER, the token is GARNER...
    Last edited by rgreever; May 09, 2012 at 09:54 AM.

us
    17123105628 is my cell plz look on FB Detecting the Heart land and Deep digging Iowa. There you'll find me posting.

Apr 2008
    MV, IA
    Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
    214 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by rgreever
    George Gardner is a fairly common name, so an exact attribution may be difficult. This token was struck in the early 1880's, so should have an attribution date between 1881-1884. It was struck in Chicago by L. Bosche, and other examples of these dies have been attributed to states surrounding Illinois. (no West Coast, Southern, or East Coast states). The business is likely a saloon. There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1880 Census for Philadelphia, PA, but this is probably too early an attribution There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1887 Pottsville, PA city directory, but this is probably too late an attribution There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1890 Spokane, WA city directory, but this is too late and too far from Chicago for this style token Trying to look at Iowa a little closer... There was a George Gardner, listed as barber in the 1878 Davenport, IA city directory There are 35 different George Gardner's listed in the 1880 census for Iowa... (many with a middle initial, which I have been ignoring) If it would be OK to post on the TokenCatlaog website, please let me know. Thanks. Richard Stay tuned.. just realize I was searching for GARDNER, the token is GARNER...
    Thats fine to post it. Just put my name under it Terry F.

us

Apr 2008
    MV, IA
    214 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Possible find whiched I googled the coins name.

George Garner, proprietor of Woodbine barber shop and temperance billiard hall, was born near Council Bluffs, Ia., in April, 1855. In 1861 removed with parents to Ragaln Tp., Harrison county, and in Dec., 1881, he bought out the fixtures of O. Elkins, and keeps a strictly temperance hall, with lunch bar in connection.

Sponsored Links