BBC token needs iding

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• bbc token.jpg
    bbc token.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 104
  • bbctokenrev.jpg
    bbctokenrev.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 106

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
George Gardner is a fairly common name, so an exact attribution may be difficult. This token was struck in the early 1880's, so should have an attribution date between 1881-1884. It was struck in Chicago by L. Bosche, and other examples of these dies have been attributed to states surrounding Illinois. (no West Coast, Southern, or East Coast states). The business is likely a saloon. There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1880 Census for Philadelphia, PA, but this is probably too early an attribution There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1887 Pottsville, PA city directory, but this is probably too late an attribution There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1890 Spokane, WA city directory, but this is too late and too far from Chicago for this style token Trying to look at Iowa a little closer... There was a George Gardner, listed as barber in the 1878 Davenport, IA city directory There are 35 different George Gardner's listed in the 1880 census for Iowa... (many with a middle initial, which I have been ignoring) If it would be OK to post on the TokenCatlaog website, please let me know. Thanks. Richard Stay tuned.. just realize I was searching for GARDNER, the token is GARNER...

Last edited:
OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rgreever said:
George Gardner is a fairly common name, so an exact attribution may be difficult. This token was struck in the early 1880's, so should have an attribution date between 1881-1884. It was struck in Chicago by L. Bosche, and other examples of these dies have been attributed to states surrounding Illinois. (no West Coast, Southern, or East Coast states). The business is likely a saloon. There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1880 Census for Philadelphia, PA, but this is probably too early an attribution There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1887 Pottsville, PA city directory, but this is probably too late an attribution There was a George Gardner, with a saloon listed in the 1890 Spokane, WA city directory, but this is too late and too far from Chicago for this style token Trying to look at Iowa a little closer... There was a George Gardner, listed as barber in the 1878 Davenport, IA city directory There are 35 different George Gardner's listed in the 1880 census for Iowa... (many with a middle initial, which I have been ignoring) If it would be OK to post on the TokenCatlaog website, please let me know. Thanks. Richard Stay tuned.. just realize I was searching for GARDNER, the token is GARNER...

Thats fine to post it. Just put my name under it Terry F.

OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible find whiched I googled the coins name.

George Garner, proprietor of Woodbine barber shop and temperance billiard hall, was born near Council Bluffs, Ia., in April, 1855. In 1861 removed with parents to Ragaln Tp., Harrison county, and in Dec., 1881, he bought out the fixtures of O. Elkins, and keeps a strictly temperance hall, with lunch bar in connection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread