Brush Creek

Attachments

• Alb.jpg
    Alb.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 259

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
My father said that there were so many of these tokens that they would put a regular nail thru the hole and use them to roof houses.I have found many of them while detecting here in Alabama. A lot of them I have found were bend double,I guess some young man did this to impress some girl.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Not one cent OR one dollar - it was for one mill (a tenth of a cent). Quite a few states instituted sales taxes in the 1930s and did not figure out the bracketing system we have today. So, in order to pay taxes down to 1/10¢, they had to be able to make change to that level. Millions of sales tax tokens were put into circulation, many of them going with travelers from the state of origin to other states. As soon as the token crossed the state line, it was worthless, so many of them ended up in the ground, desk drawers, on chickenhouse roofs holding shingles down, etc.
John in ID

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I found a New Mexico Emergancy School Tax token (marked 5 cents) in Oklahoma. I am not able to get a good picture to post, but find it very interesting since is part of our history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread