Alabama
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Thread: Alabama

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Brush Creek

Alabama

Tax token
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alb.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	100777  

Oct 2004
    Oxford,Alabama
    2 times

Re: Alabama

My father said that there were so many of these tokens that they would put a regular nail thru the hole and use them to roof houses.I have found many of them while detecting here in Alabama. A lot of them I have found were bend double,I guess some young man did this to impress some girl.
    CZ-5
    Oxford,Al
        or
    Lickskillet,Al

Aug 2003
    1035 times

Not one cent OR one dollar - it was for one mill (a tenth of a cent). Quite a few states instituted sales taxes in the 1930s and did not figure out the bracketing system we have today. So, in order to pay taxes down to 1/10, they had to be able to make change to that level. Millions of sales tax tokens were put into circulation, many of them going with travelers from the state of origin to other states. As soon as the token crossed the state line, it was worthless, so many of them ended up in the ground, desk drawers, on chickenhouse roofs holding shingles down, etc.
    John in ID

Oct 2006
    Oklahoma
    ACE 250
    1 times

I found a New Mexico Emergancy School Tax token (marked 5 cents) in Oklahoma. I am not able to get a good picture to post, but find it very interesting since is part of our history.
    "Imagine you can only know one thing in the world," he says, "and that one thing is that you don't know anything." Quoted by my son to the National Geographic. This is how he realized he had a brain injury from an IED while serving in IRAQ.

Sponsored Links