baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This token is about the size of a dime and is octagonal. One side says, "Good only for merchandise at the company store." The other side says Bridgeport Texas Coal Company. From what I read, the workers were given these to exchange at the company store. Any information anyone can add would be a great help. Pretty stoked as I thought it was trash but kept it because of the weird shape.

Attachments

• old token large.jpg
    old token large.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 247

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great artifact !!

Around 1900 the "Bridgeport Coal Company was formed in west Bridgeport. During the operation of these mines there were 500--600 miners of which 75 % were Mexicans. A lot of the Mexicans were imported from Mexico as far back as 1901 (according to the Dallas Morning News). Most of these Mexicans lived in Company houses,
traded at the Company store which was stocked with groceries, hardware, clothing and a meat market. In the corner of the store was a small bank where the miners could exchange their company “scrip” for U. S. money so they could go to “town” and make purchases . A pic of the company store is here:Bridgeport Coal Mines

Competition from natural gas and petroleum closed the coal mines in 1929.
Don.....

Last edited:

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
hey, great find.

the scrip book lists a few different variations. there were a number of mines around the town. also, could have been multiple issuance, with varying detail. sometimes only smaller more used denoms were reissued.
if i could see the other side, i may be able to tell you how it reads with the aluminum center. (even some don't have anything on the aluminum ctr. seems like it should have bridgeport twice --- as the coal co. then as the town?? just asking cause this may have been part of the alum ctr too.
anyway, if you measure millimeter diameter i can probably tell you the denomination.
pretty much all the bridgeport pieces are rated the highest rarity.

mike w.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice !!!! Congrats !!!!

OP
OP
baylorhall

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey, great find.

the scrip book lists a few different variations. there were a number of mines around the town. also, could have been multiple issuance, with varying detail. sometimes only smaller more used denoms were reissued.
if i could see the other side, i may be able to tell you how it reads with the aluminum center. (even some don't have anything on the aluminum ctr. seems like it should have bridgeport twice --- as the coal co. then as the town?? just asking cause this may have been part of the alum ctr too.
anyway, if you measure millimeter diameter i can probably tell you the denomination.
pretty much all the bridgeport pieces are rated the highest rarity.

mike w.
Thanks so much for all of the information! I contacted Jack Hepler, who is an expert on tokens of this sort. This is his reply:
Yours is missing the aluminum center piece. The center would have had the number 5 for five cents. Intact it would have been valued at $75-100.

Too bad I don't have the whole thing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread