granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started my day at 5:30am at the Jersey Shore with my new Fisher CZ-21, but didn't find anything notable. Recap here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/299910-my-first-beach-day-cz-21-a.html

Later in the afternoon my family was BBQing for Father's Day (my first as a dad!). We were at my parents’ house, the same property I found my 1891 fish scale (see pic). They’ve got a small property, but I wanted to hit part of the front lawn with my Garrett Ace 350. My 10 year old nephew joined me. Because time was short, I discrimmed out iron and just focused on mid and high tones. Every other dig produced a clad coin (the rest was junk metal). Pretty good percentage. So I declared, ok, one more hole. Let’s get a nice high tone. So we got it and we dug. I pulled out a big rusty old nail, and thought, oh well. I started to brush off my knees and my nephew asked, “How come this isn’t going off?” He was swiping the detector over the nail, but no tone. Hmm… OH! I discrimmed out iron! There’s something else in there!! I can’t believe I almost broke the cardinal rule and didn’t recheck the hole. As I pinpointed, I saw silver! I grabbed it and saw “ver” and thought SILVER!! I jumped up and down and yelled “DUUUUDE!” My nephew thought I was nuts.

Well, it wasn’t silver. Upon closer investigation, it seemed like a token or play piece. After some research, I learned that Shell Gas Station used to have a promotion game of historical facts and figures. Paul Revere was one of the game piece tokens. Not worth much monetarily, but it’s definitely a great find for me. Always the last dig!

2012-03-30-queen-victoria-1891-md.jpg

paul-revere-token.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Congrats on your finds !
Shell has had at least one very successful marketing scheme. 'Back in the day' (late 60s), Shell gave out token of presidents; some were Instant Winners ($2 or $5 as I recall) while getting all the presidents gave the holder a special reward (which I have forgotten.)
Don.........

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrates on the first token!
You are now traveling down a pathway of glorious token hunting!
Very nice silver nickel, I have a decent older Colorado token collection, but cannot seem to ever dig any Canadian silver.
Carl

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
The good thing about starting off in this hobby is that the more you dig the more firsts you get.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm, agreed. Many more firsts to come! And, since this post, I got my second token. NJLargeCent then dug up a cache of them. Cheap gas station pieces from 1968. In mint condition worth about a buck each.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread