What can you tell me about "BANTAM"

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a token that says "For amusement only" "Bantam" and "This token has no cash or trade value".

What can you tell me about the age, and the company Bantam?

Picture is for reference:

20100203131200-DSCF4630100127.jpeg 20100203131200-DSCF4631100127.jpeg

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so Bantam made games and machines for amusement parks, so the token could basically have been used in any one of their machines?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you click on the link? The Pace Manufacturing Co. made the machines and Bantam was one of their models. These slot machines were sold or leased to operators, either individuals like a cigar store owner who would put it by his cash register so customers could dispose of any spare change they might have, or to a route operator who would make deals with area businesses to place the machines in their businesses. The machines often would take nickels only (some would take either tokens or nickels), and would pay out in tokens. The wording on the token (no cash or trade value) was a bit of a ruse to get around gambling laws since the machines were then technically not slot machines, even though the tokens generally could be used to buy candy, cigars, etc. from the business at 5¢ per token.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay thanks for clarifying!