Alaskan ACCR Tokens (full set)

dreamerak

Greenie
Mar 17, 2012
alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago my Grandmother died and I was given the opportunity to go inside the home and take any boxes I wanted out of the attic... These boxes were stored for who kniows how many yrs. and after sitting in my attic for the last cpl. yrs., I decided to clear the attic and finally go through grandmas old stuff.... Digging thrpough the boxes I came across alot of just meaningless stuff, lots of old newspapers, knitting stuff, some cool old pictures and then on the bottom of the last box I came across an old money bag full of envelopes that jingled... :) In one envelope were 2 sets of Alaskan ACCR tokens from 1935. these were only used from 1935-36 when they were collected and destroyed.. they are VERY hard to come by these days and a full set is almost unheard of anymore... Quite the nice find if I must say... I also have a pretty good amount of old foriegn coins also dating back as far as the 1700's maybe later, Im not sure and cant identify so I will be posting those also in different catigories hoping some of you might be able to help me out....

here's the tokens, let me know what you all think..

And THANKS GRANDMA!!!! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 274
  • photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 222
  • photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 206
OP
OP
D

dreamerak

Greenie
Mar 17, 2012
alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARRC stands for Alaska Rural Rehabilitation Corp..... they were also called Bingles back in the day...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks; here some history:
the Alaska Rural Rehabilitation Corporationstruck trade tokens in 1935 or 1936 for use in the colony.Tokens bearing the face value of one, five, ten, twentyfive,and fifty cents and one, five, and ten dollars wereminted in a total amount of $20,300. These “bingles” ascolonist called them, were made legal tender for use atthe ARRC Company store in Palmer. Soon, other localstores began accepting the tokens, causing the ARRC toredeem the tokens for federal coinage by 1937 and revoketheir tender status in 1938. Most of the redeemed bingleswere melted, although 200 complete uncirculated setswere reserved from the original mintage for presentation​
purposes.
More history regarding the 'colony' can be found here: http://www.indianapoliscoinclub.org/uploads/February07_Newsletter.pdf
Don.......
EDIT: Interestingly enough, they are also found in the U.S. Coins (Red Book) page 403 of the 2012 edition.
.Retail values in EF range between $110 and $275; for UNC: $185 to $450. Thanks for the post, I had no idea about any of this.
Don....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread