Queen City Bakery...

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went out the other day and found a aluminum token that says Queen City Bakery/ good for 10c on loaf of bread.....dont know where it could be from or what it is worth.....the only place I can think of is Queen City Texas but dont know if they had a bakery there and when it was going.....I live in Mena Arkansas and know it must be fairly close to me....thanks for any info you guys might have .......

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a maverick Queen City Bakery token attributed to Dallas, TX, but it is good for one loaf. There are non-mavericks from that same bakery for 5¢ and 10¢ loafs. Can you post pictures?
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Pudsbrat

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont have a way to post picture.....I will try to post pics if I can ....thanks for the info.......do you have pics of tokens you are talking about????...thanks again.....

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
No pic, just a description from tokencatalog.com. Note that it is 26mm across the widest point, 10 scallops, and aluminum. This particular one was probably attributed to Dallas because other tokens are known from the business that have town and state on them, so I wouldn't bet the farm on that attribution being good. If yours doesn't match the description exactly, then all bets are off:
Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
Image Wanted

Unlisted
AS1026

[CA1]
QUEEN / CITY / BAKERY
GOOD FOR / ONE / LOAF / OF / BREAD
TC-66249; ATCO 002101; ATCO 002967

John in the Great 208

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Gosh, I thought everyone knew that Cincinnati is often referred to as the Queen City. The 1912 Bradstreet lists 59 businesses that have Queen City in their name including a Queen City Bakery.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Yabbut... Cincy isn't the only one. There are towns with the official name of Queen City in MO & TX, plus there is a whole list of towns with Queen City as a nickname: Allentown, PA, Bangor, ME, Beach Haven, NJ, Buffalo, NY, Burlington, VT, Charlotte, NC, Clarksville, TN, Cumberland, MD, Del Rio, TX, Denver, CO, Dickinson, ND, Helena, MT, Manchester, NH, Marquette, MI, Meridian, MS, Moore, OK, Plainfield, NJ, Poughkeepsie, NY, Seattle, WA, Sioux Falls, SD, Springfield, MO, Staunton, VA, Titusville, PA, Tuscaloosa, AL, & Virginia, MN (per the ever-useful but often inaccurate WikiPedia). Besides, the bakery might have been named by a guy who was from one of the Queen Cities and wanted a reminder of home.
John in the Great 208 (no Queen Citys here)

OP
OP
Pudsbrat

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine is smooth sided...no scallops.....thanks for the info....at least I know more now than I did.....dont know for sure where it came from but it is still cool......thanks for all the input....knew I could count on you guys(as usual)......never hurts to ask......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread