Some Maverick Trade Tokens Found In Indiana

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
Over time Iā€™ve accumulated a box of tokens (some dug and some not) that I canā€™t find attributions for. All were either bought or found in Indiana. Iā€™ve listed a few below, and included a link to a scan of one. Any info about any of these would be appreciated.

Good For / 5Ā¢ / Salem Club / In Trade // (elk head) B 25 R
J.O. / Welch // Good For / 5Ā¢ / In Trade B 21 R
Fred Knuth / 5Ā¢ / Drink / At Bar // (blank) WM 26 8 (last two letters in last name worn. Fairly sure 4th letter is a T. Iā€˜m guessing on the 5th. Link to scan below)
L.P. Cubberly / 5Ā¢ // Good For / 5Ā¢ / In Trade A 25 8s
T. Poll. // Good For / 5Ā¢ / In Trade B 21 R
The / Shellstone / Plantation // Good For / 25Ā¢ / In Trade A 26 R

fredktoken.jpg

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Hello Butterfield, Have found lots of indiana tokens. The first place to look is in the work by wagaman on indiana trade tokens. In progress is the list of unlisted Indiana trade tokens by Kevin Grant. I have a copy of that too. I will look up your tokens and make my comments in CAPS below. PBK and idahotokens have access to other token guides and may be able to id for you. Good finds. Congratulations. siegfried schlagrule

Butterfield said:
Over time Iā€™ve accumulated a box of tokens (some dug and some not) that I canā€™t find attributions for. All were either bought or found in Indiana. Iā€™ve listed a few below, and included a link to a scan of one. Any info about any of these would be appreciated.

Good For / 5Ā¢ / Salem Club / In Trade // (elk head) B 25 R UNLISTED POSSIBLY SALEM, IN

J.O. / Welch // Good For / 5Ā¢ / In Trade B 21 R - - UNLISTED

Fred Knuth / 5Ā¢ / Drink / At Bar // (blank) WM 26 8 (last two letters in last name worn.
Fairly sure 4th letter is a T. Iā€˜m guessing on the 5th. Link to scan below) - UNLISTED

L.P. Cubberly / 5Ā¢ // Good For / 5Ā¢ / In Trade A 25 8s - UNLISTED

T. Poll. // Good For / 5Ā¢ / In Trade B 21 R - UNLISTED

The / Shellstone / Plantation // Good For / 25Ā¢ / In Trade A 26 R - UNLISTED

fredktoken.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the only good I can do you on these is the Cubberly one. Lewis P. Cubberly is listed in the 1910 Census for Marion, IN as a retail tobacco merchant. I don't find anything on the others.
John in ID

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find/s!

hh

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
Thanks for the help everybody! Someone else told me that the Salem Club token has been attributed to Salem Oregon. Still no luck with the other four though.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, sure enough the Salem Club one is listed in Hemphill's OR book as being from the Elks Club in Salem, OR.

How about posting photos of the others? Including the Cubberly one - I for one would like to see what it looks like.

John in ID

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
John,

I'm including a few photos. Also, I realized I left out an "e" in Cubberley. Not sure if that will affect the attribution.

I also pulled a few more out of the box. All were found/bought in Indiana:

W.F. / Maddox // Good For / 5Ā¢ / In Trade B 21 R

N.L. Hutson / Smoke House // Good For / 2 1/2Ā¢ / In Merchandise A 28 R

Froggy / And / Dick's / Cigar Store // Good For / 5Ā¢ / In Trade A 21 R

Thanks, Butterfield

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/COLLEGEDAZE1/cubberley.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/COLLEGEDAZE1/froggyndicks.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread