Aluminum Token - Clean Or Leave As Is?

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a dug aluminum token so there is discoloration on it. I've cleaned it with soap and water. Is there anything that will safely clean off the staining? Does aluminum jelly work or should I leave it as is? This token is not in Richard's Token Database and I would like to submit the pictures and information but would like to use the best pictures possible. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• DSC00154frbry.jpg
    DSC00154frbry.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC00156frbry.jpg
    DSC00156frbry.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 470

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
Not sure how cleaning would make yours much nicer. It has all the lettering. Deep harsh cleaning, with chemicals, world start defining the pits and eating away the edges of the lettering.
Try lightly cleaning with soap water and tooth brush.
What stops that white rust IDK. How to leave it after that IDK scientifically. What would protect against the corrosion from remaining or what would not affect the 2x2 holder? Where's a scientist when needed, why is this such a lingering issue?
I know one guy cleans harshly (not sure with what) but wants to get all the corrosion gone. Then he painted the token silver with spray.

If selling-soft cleaning let the next owner do what they want! The lettering is critical.
Mike

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't clean it if I was going to sell it or if it had value but if you want to shine it up a little try immersing it in some white vinegar, with a little salt and a bit of Sodium bicarbonate. Let it soak for a few minutes and LIGHTLY scrub it with a tootbrush. Rinse in cold water and dry. But like I said, I wouldn't clean it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread