Stanford Hotel Bar (Moise S.F.)

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this token at a razed home here in Ogden,Ut. Was wondering if it is listed in the California catalog? I found image needed on Richards data base from San Francisco, Calif. Hotel bar Stanford/ Good for 2 1/2 in trade. Mine reads: Stanford Hotel Bar Moise S.F.

This token is about 23-24 mm brass
The reverse is quite unusual blank, with a rectangular cut out

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 152

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
L.H. Moise of San Francisco was a manufacturer of many tokens including those for use in telephones though I'd rule out this being a telephone token since those were of 21 mm versus this one at 23-24 mm.
Don....
Adding:
The die-sinking firm of L. H. Moise was founded in 1893 and Moise purchased the older C.A. Klinker & Co. in 1897. Although they became the Moise-Klinker Co. in 1898, they produced pieces under their individual names until 1904. That is probably the date range of your token; between 1893 and 1904.

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nova--

There well may have been dozens of Stanford Hotels in the USA, so beware thinking your token is from San Francisco, although it may well be. The Moise signature narrows it down to the western part, but there are several listed on Richard's Token Database - TokenCatalog.com from Montana which was within Moise's sales area.

How about posting your pics on Richard's Token Database - TokenCatalog.com under unknown city & state and seeing if somebody can prove an attribution?

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep 21.2 MM! Thanks much John and Don. I am leaning towards Montana due the fact there is 3 others with the same wording except for the reverse which reads good for....
This probally was an advertising telephone token for the Stanford hotel Bar. I,m sure it could be used outside of the buisness for a phone call.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that the slotted or otherwise keyed telephone tokens were used extensively outside of the USA, but I guess I don't know where they were used within this country. The Bell System, as far as I know, never used them, and that would include the old Rocky Mountain Bell Telephone company territory that included Montana. There well may have been independent telephone companies that used such tokens, but I am unaware of them. Your token appears to me to have been slotted after it was manufactured - there are two runs across it with a milling machine or some such. The "as made" slotted tokens I have seen have a much smoother slot. Dunno...
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct John, After doing some extensive research on Richards Token data Base. I could only find one other slotted token from Oregon. The majority had telephone/phone spelled out no slotted. If you look close enough on this one you can kinda see a another run down the center but worn,
mine could of been lost shortly after circulation is why the run is so sharp.

Attachments

• IMAGE_OBV_4304.jpg
    IMAGE_OBV_4304.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 875
  • IMAGE_REV_4304.jpg
    IMAGE_REV_4304.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the article to which Don refers: http://www.gilbertweb.com/article.html and he does remind me of the Moise storecards that advertise that they did make telephone tokens. So the slot on yours could well have been done by Moise as it does look like an unworn version of the Fred Fritz one you found.
John in the Great 208

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

idahotokens

Bronze Member